[MARMAM] New publication: Cetacean response to summer maritime traffic in the Western Med

ilaria campana ilariacampana at yahoo.it
Mon May 25 01:50:26 PDT 2015

Dear all, We are pleased to announce that our new article is now available: I. Campana, R. Crosti, D. Angeletti, L. Carosso, L. David, N. Di-Meglio, A. Moulins, M. Rosso, P. Tepsich, A. Arcangeli (2015) Cetacean response to summer maritime traffic in the Western Mediterranean Sea. Marine Environmental Research, pp. 1-8 DOI information: 10.1016/j.marenvres.2015.05.009 ABSTACTMaritime traffic is one of many anthropogenic pressures threatening the marine environment. This study was specifically designed to investigate the relationship between vessels presence and cetacean sightings in the high sea areas of the Western Mediterranean Sea region. We recorded and compared the total number of vessels in the presence and absence of cetacean sightings using data gathered during the summer season (2009 and 2013) along six fixed transects repeatedly surveyed. In locations with cetacean sightings (N=2667), nautical traffic was significantly lower, by 20%, compared to random locations where no sightings occurred (N=1226): all cetacean species, except bottlenose dolphin, were generally observed in locations with lower vessel abundance. In different areas the species showed variable results likely influenced by a combination of biological and local environmental factors. The approach of this research helped create, for the first time, a wide vision of the different responses of animals towards a common pressure. The article is available online at: http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1R4VbW5UIvIJ0
Kind regards.
Ilaria CampanaPhD studentTuscia UniversityDep. of Ecological and Biological Sciences - CISMARTarquinia (VT), Italy