[MARMAM] HWDT - AMAZING OPPORTUNITY TO GAIN FIELD EXPERIENCE

Volunteer Coordinator volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Fri May 8 02:25:32 PDT 2015

FINAL CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

Dear All,

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) conducts cetacean surveys
throughout our field season (May - October) from aboard our research yacht
Silurian. <http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-Silurian.asp>

Every year we welcome aboard enthusiastic volunteers who are willing to
contribute directly to our research work.  Volunteers, in effect, become
marine mammal scientists for the duration of the survey; living and working
aboard Silurian, assisting with day-to-day running, as well as working
together as a team to carry out visual and acoustic surveys.  To find out
more about the research onboard please click here
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-on-silurian.asp> .

***HWDT are issuing a final call for volunteers in a bid to fill the
remaining berth for the survey running 14th – 22nd May. HWDT  are unable to
run these surveys without a minimum of 5 volunteers and are therefore
heavily discounting this survey, offering you the chance to join us aboard
for only £250 for a 9 day survey!

Volunteers will assist fully in the collection of data, with mega-fauna and
sea bird identification training provided.  Acoustic and visual methods are
combined to produce comprehensive data sets. During encounters photographs
are taken of dorsal fins to try and identify the individual, gaining a
better understanding of species movements and interactions with each other.
The data collected, and subsequent information produced is essential when
monitoring the distribution, relative abundance and habitat preference of
cetacean species in the Hebrides. Only with coherent data can effective
conservation and management strategies be designed to enable long-term
protection of the amazing species found in our waters.

As a volunteer onboard Silurian, you will have the opportunity to see
first-hand the amazing variety of marine wildlife the UK has to offer
including whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sharks and seabirds. You will
explore some of the remotest, wildest parts of the British Isles, anchoring
each night in a different secluded bay off one of the many Hebridean
islands, venturing ashore to explore.  The opportunity to gain sailing
experience is also available, although no certificates are issued.

If you are interested in joining the May survey please contact Morven
Russell on volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org or call 01688 302620.

For further  information about our surveys please go online to:

http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/get-involved-join-us-onboard.asp

For Further information about HWDT please go online to:

www.hwdt.org

Morven Russell
Volunteer Coordinator
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
28 Main Street
Tobermory
Isle of Mull
PA75 6NU

Tel: 01688 302620
 <mailto:volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org> volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org

 <http://www.hwdt.org/> www.hwdt.org

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust is dedicated to enhancing knowledge
and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans)
and the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within Hebridean communities as a basis for the lasting conservation of
local species and habitats.