[MARMAM] New paper:"Biphonic calls as signature whistles in a free-ranging bottlenose dolphin"

Elena Papale elena.papale at iamc.cnr.it
Thu May 7 07:57:03 PDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,
On behalf of my co-authors, I'm pleased to announce the publication of
a new paper:

"Biphonic calls as signature whistles in a free-ranging bottlenose dolphin"

Elena Papale, Gaspare Buffa, Francesco Filiciotto, Vincenzo
Maccarrone, Salvatore Mazzola, Maria Ceraulo, Cristina Giacoma &
Giuseppa Buscaino

Bioacoustics: The International Journal of Animal Sound and its Recording,
DOI: 10.1080/09524622.2015.1041158

A PDF version of the paper is available online at:
http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/xkbBixxgEirf9YPvVHSG/full

or via email request to: elena.papale at iamc.cnr.it

ABSTRACT

Biphonic signals are nonlinear phenomena (NLPs) occurring in the
repertoire of several animal groups and widespread across mammalian
species. Although the mechanism of production is unclear, an adaptive
meaning was suggested by their communication function, such as group
or individual recognition. We document the rare recording event of a
biphonic whistle emitted within a free-ranging population of
bottlenose dolphins in the waters of south-western Sicily, Italy. The
whistle was recorded in 2 different years, always when a
photo-identified individual was present. A quantitative description of
the signal is provided. The signal presents some unique
characteristics in its frequency modulation pattern which is stable
for a long period. Furthermore, the synchronized beginning of the two
fundamental frequencies, the signal repetition within few seconds and
its emission in freely interacting contexts suggest that biphonation
is neither temporary nor involuntary. Also, we propose that
biphonation can be produced via multiple mechanisms in bottlenose
dolphins and that NLPs could represent natural recognizing marks that
play a role in communication between bottlenose dolphins.

Best,
Elena

Elena Papale, PhD
Institute for Coastal Marine Environment
National Research Council
Via del Mare 3
91021 Torretta Granitola (TP)
Italy