[MARMAM] Low frequency Atlantic bottlenose dolphin vocalizations

Maria Cartolano mcartolano at rsmas.miami.edu
Mon May 4 09:02:47 PDT 2015

Hello all,
I am a PhD student at the University of Miami and I am working on an experiment exposing Gulf toadfish (Opsanus beta) to different predatory cues, including dolphin vocalization playbacks, and measuring various physiological responses. I am hoping someone can shed some light on high amplitude, low frequency sounds made by Atlantic bottlenose dolphins during foraging as I have found varying descriptions in the literature (pop, crack, burst pulses). Toadfish hear best below 1kHz, so I am hoping to expose them to an ecologically relevant sound within their hearing range. If anyone has some more information about these low frequency sounds or would share with me recordings that you might have of these vocalizations with energy below 1kHz produced by Atlantic bottlenose dolphins in the Gulf of Mexico or southeast Florida, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks for your help,
Maria Cartolano

Maria C. Cartolano, B.S.
Graduate Research Assistant