[MARMAM] Juvenile melon-headed whale among common bottlenose dolphins

Pamela Carzon / G.E.M.M. pamelacarzon at gemmpacific.org
Sat May 2 12:06:50 PDT 2015

Dear Marmam subscribers,

I am currently working on resident common bottlenose dolphins in Rangiroa, French Polynesia,
with a local NGO and the IRCP-CRIOBE research center.

One of the groups contains a juvenile melon-headed whale first observed last November
when it still was a calf and regularly seen with the bottlenoses since then. This is not the first time that these dolphins are seen with
calves from other dolphin species and I would be really interested to know if someone knows of similar recurrent cases elsewhere?
I would also be keen to have people's views about these phenomena.

Many thanks for your help,

Pamela

----
Pamela Carzon | Chef de mission