[MARMAM] The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, CA is hiring a Volunteer Resources Manager
GroningerH at TMMC.org
Wed Jun 17 13:04:48 PDT 2015
The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, CA is recruiting for the following role:
VOLUNTEER RESOURCES MANAGER
The Marine Mammal Center, an equal opportunity, non-profit employer, is seeking a Volunteer Resources Manager to join our team. The Marine Mammal Center's mission is to expand knowledge about marine mammals-their health and that of their ocean environment-and to inspire their global conservation. Our core work is the rescue and rehabilitation of sick and injured marine mammals, supported by state-of-the-art animal care and research facilities, a corps of dedicated volunteers, and an engaged community.
About the Organization
The Marine Mammal Center is the largest facility of its kind in the world. Founded in 1975, The Center has grown into an internationally renowned and state-of-the art marine mammal hospital, research center and educational organization. Each year, The Center treats 600 - 800 sick, injured and orphaned marine mammals, with the goal of rehabilitation and release. Its professional staff collaborates with over 30 different scientific, educational, federal, state and non-profit organizations from around the world.
Marine mammal scientists and veterinarians from across the globe visit The Center and shadow its staff and volunteers to learn from the hundreds of animals treated each year, and from its acclaimed veterinary, scientific, and research staff. By collaborating with leading scientists and researchers to learn from the patients in their care, The Center expands and advances science to increase understanding of the health of the ocean and highlights implications for human health.
In addition to its work with the scientific community, The Center's formal and informal education programs reach 100,000 children and adults ever year. Ultimately, The Center's work inspires action and fosters stewardship toward the care of our environment.
Overlooking the ocean in the Marin Headlands, in Sausalito, CA, The Center operates three field stations in its 600-mile rescue range on the California coastline from San Luis Obispo through Mendocino County. Simultaneous to the construction of its new Kona, Hawaii facility, The Center's rescue range has increased to include the entire Hawaiian archipelago. With an annual operating budget of $6M, 60 staff and 1,100 actively engaged volunteers, The Center operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
About the Opportunity
The Volunteer Resources Manager, a full-time exempt position with competitive benefits, is the primary contact for volunteer management across all departments of The Marine Mammal Center (TMMC). This role provides administrative, communication, coordination and training support for all volunteers of The Center throughout their volunteer experience. This position reports to the Human Resources Director and I.T. Manager and supervises the Administrative and Volunteer Coordinator.
Due to the nature of the position, the Volunteer Resources Manager will need to maintain a variable work schedule, specifically working at least two Saturdays per month to coincide with volunteer introduction and orientation meetings. Additionally, the position may occasionally be required to work evenings, and other weekend days, according to events and program needs and as directed by the HR Director and I.T. Manager.
* Strong administrative, organizational, and presentation skills
* Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to deliver engaging presentations
* Ability to record, manage, and report volunteer data
* Skill with using relational databases and general Office Suite (Excel, etc.)
* Adept at detail oriented work
* Ability to multi-task while being very efficient with time. Ability to delegate effectively to meet objectives
* Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team
* Extremely strong interpersonal skills
* Competent use of independent judgment
* Demonstrated capability to conduct one's self in a calm and professional demeanor when dealing with the public, volunteers and/or difficult situations
Using processes communicated by the Human Resources Director and I.T. Manager, and working in partnership with the Volunteer Training Team (VOLTT) and the Administrative and Volunteer Coordinator (AVC), performs tasks related to the recruitment, training development, placement, on-boarding, retention, and exit of volunteers, including:
* Scheduling, coordinating, and preparing paperwork and handouts for the new volunteer introduction and Orientation meetings held each month. Includes reaching out to crews to be best informed on needs, scheduling the volunteer presenters, keeping materials up to date, and being present at each meeting to facilitate. Necessitates good presentation skills
* Regularly following up (or delegate to AVC) with volunteer inquiries via phone or e-mails (to volunteer at tmmc.org<mailto:volunteer at tmmc.org>), and being their initial primary contact with TMMC
* Provide ongoing support and guidance for all volunteers; facilitate and implement the conflict resolution and grievance process with all volunteers to promote cooperation and interest
* Maintain the volunteer management database (Volgistics); tracking and reporting volunteer hours, producing reports on a regular and ad-hoc basis, and providing analytics on activities to the HR Director as needed. Delegate tasks to the AVC as needed
* Support the satellite managers with the onboarding of new volunteers, Volgistics training; travel to the satellite facilities once per quarter for volunteer trainings and meetings
* Working closely with the VOLTT members and other departmental leads to streamline tasks and shared responsibilities and to assure all data is up to date and entered in a timely fashion
* Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures and standards of volunteer service
* Lead the coordination of all volunteer training, including scheduling training classes, classrooms and instructors, preparing paperwork, tracking classes taken within volunteer database and identifying deficiencies in classes taken by active volunteers
* Creating a follow-up mechanism for new volunteers to assess their integration into TMMC within the first three months of recruitment
* Administering volunteer exit interviews/surveys on a monthly basis to determine why individuals may leave TMMC's volunteer ranks
* Lead the planning and implementation of the annual Volunteer Appreciation Party and other volunteer recognition events
* Maintains the Driver's License List for all staff and volunteers. Assures that new staff members and volunteers are added to TMMC's insurance policy before driving a vehicle on the Center's behalf
* Attends Crew Supervisor meetings if requested. Maintains rosters and phone lists for these groups in tandem with Veterinary Science staff crew supervisor lead
* Administers annual Volunteer Council elections and serves as staff liaison. Will be asked to travel to meetings at satellites as needed
* Train and supervise the AVC and other administrative volunteers
* Serve on the safety committee
* Conduct research into volunteer program grant funds and corporate matching programs, and provide leads to HR Director and I.T. Manager and Development Team
* Special projects at the request of the HR Director and IT Manager
* Bachelor's degree
* Ability to complete tasks in a productive, proactive manner
* Ability to multi-task efficiently and prioritize deliverables regularly
* Ability to work well with a diverse group of staff and volunteers
* Ability to work with minimal day to day supervision and keep the supervisor well informed
* Excellent conflict resolution and mediation skills
* Ability to optimize automated systems; Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), and experience with relational databases.
* Great attention to detail
* "Can-do" attitude and willing to take on new projects as needed
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Commitment to TMMC mission
* Prior volunteer management experience highly valued
* Willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job and work a flexible schedule with at least two weekend (Saturdays) days per month for meetings and events
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements attention Human Resources Director & I.T. Manager to admin at tmmc.org<mailto:admin at tmmc.org>. Please put "Volunteer Resources Manager" in the subject line.
Please no phone calls or faxed submissions. Deadline for applications is Friday June 19, 2015.
Heather Groninger, M.A.
Human Resources Director and I.T. Manager
The Marine Mammal Center
2000 Bunker Road
Sausalito, CA 94965
groningerh at tmmc.org<mailto:groningerh at tmmc.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM