[MARMAM] Belize Dolphin & Manatee Expedition/Field Course August 10-23

Caryn Sullivan cs1733 at nova.edu
Wed Jun 17 07:52:00 PDT 2015

The dates are finally set for our Summer 2015 Manatees & Dolphins in Belize Field Course and Expedition: August 10-23

Lead Instructor & Principal Investigator:  Caryn Self-Sullivan, PhD (Nova Southeastern University)
Co-PI & Graduate Assistant: Jazmin Garcia
Location:  Spanish Bay Conservation & Research Center at Hugh Parkey’s Belize Adventure Lodge: http://belizeadventurelodge.com/

For more Information, please read the description below, THEN contact Dr. Caryn Self-Sullivan (contact info at the end of this message).

Updates can be found on our Facebook Event Page https//www.facebook.com/events/881875731872403<http://www.facebook.com/events/881875731872403>

Join our research team for two intense weeks of total immersion into the world of animal behavior, ecology & conservation, Antillean manatees, bottlenose dolphins, coral reefs, mangroves and seagrass beds in Belize!  Join the expedition for credit or just for experience.  We are currently looking to identify a new leader for this research project and to take over the coordinating role at Sirenian International.  If you are looking for such an opportunity, the first step is to participate in our expedition and field course this summer!

Course Overview
This is an experiential learning expedition and field course where you will live, work, and study from a marine science field station on a pristine, private island off the coast of Belize. Data collected during the course will contribute to our long-term manatee and dolphin research projects. You will learn through a variety of learning activities, literature review and discussion, independent research projects, and actual field research. Be prepared to rise with the sun and work/study up to 12 hours per day up to 12 hours outdoors, up to 6 hours on the water each day learning about the tropical Caribbean environment as we explore a maze of mangrove islands, seagrass beds, and coral patches searching for elusive manatees and charismatic dolphins.

Location
Spanish Bay Conservation & Research Center at Hugh Parkey's Belize Adventure Lodge, http//belizeadventurelodge.com/<http://belizeadventurelodge.com/>. Passport required, immunizations as recommended by CDC,http//wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/extended_student/belize?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-single-001<http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/extended_student/belize?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-single-001>

Your Share of the Costs
US$3495 includes housing, meals, ground & water transfer fees, research & materials fees, DOES NOT include airfare, books, tips, incidentals, or credit hours.

Optional Credit Hours
The course provides a minimum of 100 experiential learning and lecture hours in the field, plus approximately 35 hours of pre-field reading, research, and preparation, at least 50 of the 135 total hours include direct instruction by faculty. This is comparable to a 3 credit hour university course and meets the US DOE criteria in 34 CFR, SS600.2. You must make arrangements IN ADVANCE with BOTH your advising faculty and Dr. Self-Sullivan for credit to be earned through your home university. Credit hour fees must be paid directly to your school and you must fulfill any study abroad requirements of your school. This course is divided into 6 components lectures and learning activities (1 hour per day), independent reading and assignments (1-2 hour per day), data collection in the field (3-6 hours per day), project development & implementation (1-2 hours per day), presentation of pre-field research (1 hour per day), and debate/group discussion of reading materials (1 hour per day).

Deadlines
Registration & deposit due not later than July 1st 2015, balance due no later than July 10th 2015. Late payments and late registrations (if space available) incur a $100 late fee.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT

Caryn Self-Sullivan, Ph.D.
Nova Southeastern University
NSU Email:  cs1733 at nova.edu<mailto:cs1733 at nova.edu>
http://www.nova.edu/ocean/
http://www.fischlerschool.nova.edu/

Sirenian International INC
http://sirenian.org
Ask Dr. Caryn LLC
http://AskDrCaryn.com

Mailing Address: Colonial Beach VA 22443-1519
Mobile:  540.287.8207  |  Fax:  888.504.4309