[MARMAM] Final Call Marine Education and Awareness Assistant

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Tue Jun 16 04:41:58 PDT 2015

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) is recruiting a voluntary Marine
Education and Awareness Assistant for the 2015 Summer and Autumn seasons
(July - November) to promote and deliver our educational programme and
assist with awareness raising work and events in the local community. This
is a fantastic opportunity for you to help run the educational activities of
a small but very active marine conservation group, gaining experience and
developing skills essential for a career in environmental education. The
deadline is midnight on 19th June 2015.

About CBMWC
The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales, UK
and is the marine wing of the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales. Since
1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local marine
environment through education and research. Using boat-based and land-based
surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we monitor bottlenose dolphin,
harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations in the Cardigan Bay
Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider Irish Sea. As well as our
education and activity room which offers marine educational activities for
families with young children we also operate a busy visitor centre.

Role description:
This is a volunteer role, which is ideally suited to someone who is looking
to develop a career or gain experience in environmental education.
• Assist the Living Seas Awareness Officer with development and promotion of
a programme of educational activities for the 2015 season
• Assist with delivering educational activities from our ground floor
activity room and on the local beach (weather permitting)
• Host visiting groups, provide talks and activities
• Assist with the development new educational activities and materials
• Assist with event organisation and promotion, e.g. World Ocean Day, The
Wildlife Trusts’ National Marine Week
• Represent CBMWC/WTSWW at outside events
• Organise regular beach cleans

Essential skills and qualifications:
• Fluency in English
• Experience of working with children and families
• Experience in delivering educational activities
• Enthusiastic, conscientious and hard working
• Proactive with ability to work unsupervised
• Responsible, flexible and mature attitude
• Interest in wildlife and conservation
• IT skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills

Desirable skills
• An interest and knowledge of British marine life would be an advantage
• A background in biology, particularly marine biology/environmental science

What you will gain from this role

The successful candidate will

• Gain valuable experience in marine education and awareness
• Receive training in running events and developing new educational
activities
• Work closely with the Living Seas Awareness officer
• Receive training in marine mammal research and surveying

Commitment:
We are looking for a volunteer that is able to commit for the season from
July (ASAP) - 2nd November 2015. You may be required to work up to six days
a week (including weekends), some evening volunteering time may be required.

Accommodation and expenses:
Accommodation in the form of a house in the centre of New Quay has been
arranged with rent set at £55 per week. You will be responsible for all your
own accommodation, travel and other expenses incurred however, it is
relatively easy to find a part-time job.

To apply:
Please email a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4)
outlining your experience and motivations for applying to
volunteer at cbmwc.org with “Education volunteer 2015” in the subject line. The
deadline is midnight on 19th June 2015. Interviews via Skype will be held in
the week commencing 22nd June.

Contact:
For further information and any queries, please contact
Laura Evans, Volunteer Co-ordinator
Email: volunteer at cbmwc.org
Tel: 01545 560224

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre
Patent Slip Building
Glanmor Terrace
New Quay
Ceredigion
SA45 9PS

www.cbmwc.org

Support our research - adopt a Cardigan Bay dolphin with the Cardigan Bay
Marine Wildlife Centre
<http://www.cbmwc.org/support-us/adopt-a-cardigan-bay-dolphin/>

Raise money for CBMWC with each internet search you do - it doesn't cost you
a penny  <http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC>
http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

Wales, UK

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560 224

E-bost/Email:  <mailto:info at cbmwc.org> info at cbmwc.org

Website:  <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

For all the latest news and sightings information, please visit our website,
follow us on Twitter and become a fan of our Facebook page

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

 <http://twitter.com/CBMWC> http://twitter.com/CBMWC

 <http://facebook.com/CBMWC> http://facebook.com/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is supported by the Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife Group, a marine interest group of the Wildlife Trust of South and
West Wales.

Helping to conserve Cardigan Bay's marine wildlife through education and
research

Helpu I warchod bywyd gwyllt morol Bae Ceredigion drwy addysg ac ymchwil

The contents of this email are confidential and are soley for the use of the
intended recipient. If you receive this email in error please delete it and
notify us either by email or telephone. It is prohibited to copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the contents of this email.