[MARMAM] CETACEAN RESEARCH IN THE HEBRIDES: GAIN FANTASTIC FIELD EXPERIENCE

Volunteer Coordinator volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Mon Jun 15 04:05:49 PDT 2015

*SEEKING VOLUNTEERS*

Dear All,

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) conducts cetacean surveys

throughout our field season (May - October) from aboard our research yacht

<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-Silurian.asp> Silurian.

Every year we welcome aboard enthusiastic volunteers who are willing to

contribute directly to our research work.  Volunteers, in effect, become

marine mammal scientists for the duration of the survey; collecting visual
and acoustic data,  living and working aboard Silurian and assisting with
day-to-day running of the expedition.  To find out more about the research
on board please click here
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-on-silurian.asp>.

Volunteers will assist fully in the collection of data, with mega-fauna and

sea bird identification training provided.  Acoustic and visual methods are

combined to produce comprehensive data sets. During encounters photographs
are taken of individuals so as Photo Identification studies can be carried
out, providing a better understanding of species movements and interactions.
The data collected, and subsequent information produced is essential when
monitoring the distribution, relative abundance and habitat preference of
cetacean species in the Hebrides. Only with coherent data can we produce
effective conservation and management strategies to enable the long-term
protection of the amazing species found in our waters.

As a volunteer onboard Silurian, you will have the opportunity to see first

hand the amazing variety of marine wildlife the UK has to offer including

whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sharks and seabirds. You will explore

some of the remotest, wildest parts of the British Isles, anchoring each

night in a different secluded bay off one of the many Hebridean islands,

with the opportunity to venture ashore to explore.  The opportunity to gain
sailing experience is also available, although no formal certification is
awarded.

Rendezvous location is in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, where HWDT

is based.  More information on specific surveys can be provided on request.
There is a monetary value attached to participating which includes
accommodation (aboard) and food throughout the duration.

The income generated allows HWDT to continue this well established research
programme, you can be assured that without your contribution the research
couldn't be undertaken.

2015 Survey Dates:

*	30th June - 11th July; £750
*	15th – 23rd July: £750
*	4th - 15th August; £1,500
*	18th - 29th August; £1,450
*	1st - 12th September; £1,350
*	22nd - 30th September; £1,050
*	15th - 23rd October; £950

·         5th - 13th October*; £950
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=militarysurvey.asp>

* Joint Warrior
<http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2013/april/10/130
410-joint-warrior>  Military Exercise Monitoring Survey

<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=militarysurvey.asp>

Joint Warrior military exercise off western Scotland)

For further  information about our surveys please go online to:

http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/get-involved-join-us-onboard.asp

For Further information about HWDT please go online to:

www.hwdt.org

Or contact HWDT’s volunteer coordinator Morven Russell

Email: volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org

Telephone: 01688 302620

Thank you, and hope to see you onboard this season!

Morven Russell
Volunteer Coordinator
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
28 Main Street
Tobermory
Isle of Mull
PA75 6NU

Tel: 01688 302620
 <mailto:volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org> volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org

 <http://www.hwdt.org/> www.hwdt.org

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust is dedicated to enhancing knowledge
and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans)
and the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within Hebridean communities as a basis for the lasting conservation of
local species and habitats.