[MARMAM] Volunteer opportunity at the Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, Wales, UK

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Thu Jun 4 05:45:59 PDT 2015

WTSWW_high_res_logoCardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

CBMWC logo without boarderNew Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

Dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education and
research

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) is recruiting a voluntary Marine
Education and Awareness Assistant for the 2015 Summer and Autumn seasons
(July - November) to promote and deliver our educational programme and
assist with awareness raising work and events in the local community. This
is a fantastic opportunity for you to help run the educational activities of
a small but very active marine conservation group, gaining experience and
developing skills essential for a career in environmental education.

About CBMWC
The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales, UK
and is the marine wing of the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales. Since
1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local marine
environment through education and research. Using boat-based and land-based
surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we monitor bottlenose dolphin,
harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations in the Cardigan Bay
Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider Irish Sea. As well as our
education and activity room which offers marine educational activities for
families with young children we also operate a busy visitor centre.

Role description:
This is a volunteer role, which is ideally suited to someone who is looking
to develop a career or gain experience in environmental education.
• Assist the Living Seas Awareness Officer with development and promotion of
a programme of educational activities for the 2015 season
• Assist with delivering educational activities from our ground floor
activity room and on the local beach (weather permitting)
• Host visiting groups, provide talks and activities
• Assist with the development new educational activities and materials
• Assist with event organisation and promotion, e.g. World Ocean Day, The
Wildlife Trusts’ National Marine Week
• Represent CBMWC/WTSWW at outside events
• Organise regular beach cleans

Essential skills and qualifications:
• Fluency in English
• Experience of working with children and families
• Experience in delivering educational activities
• Enthusiastic, conscientious and hard working
• Proactive with ability to work unsupervised
• Responsible, flexible and mature attitude
• Interest in wildlife and conservation
• IT skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills

Desirable skills
• An interest and knowledge of British marine life would be an advantage
• A background in biology, particularly marine biology/environmental science

Commitment:
We are looking for a volunteer that is able to commit for the season from
July (ASAP) - 2nd November 2015. You may be required to work up to six days
a week (including weekends), some evening volunteering time may be required.

Accommodation and expenses:
Accommodation in the form of a house in the centre of New Quay has been
arranged with rent set at £55 per week. You will be responsible for all your
own accommodation, travel and other expenses incurred however, it is
relatively easy to find a part-time job.

To apply:
Please email a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4)
outlining your experience and motivations for applying to
volunteer at cbmwc.org with “Education volunteer 2015” in the subject line. The
deadline is midnight on 19th June 2015. Interviews via Skype will be held in
the week commencing 22nd June.

Contact:
For further information and any queries, please contact
Laura Evans, Volunteer Co-ordinator
Email: volunteer at cbmwc.org
Tel: 01545 560224

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre