[MARMAM] New Paper: Genetic differentiation of rough-toothed dolphins worldwide.

Haydee Cunha haydeecunha at yahoo.com.br
Wed Jul 29 14:52:21 PDT 2015

Dear all, on behalf of my co-authors, I’d like to announce thatthe following paper is now available online:
Molecular taxonomy and population structure of therough-toothed dolphin Steno bredanensis (Cetartiodactyla:Delphinidae).
Silva, AzevedoAF, Secchi ER, Barbosa LA, Flores PAC, Carvalho RR,Bisi TL, Lailson-Brito J, Cunha HA.
Zoological Journal ofthe Linnean Society This is the first perspective on the geneticdifferentiation of rough-toothed dolphins worldwide. Abstract:
Several delphinid species have shown geneticpopulation structure, both between and within ocean basins. We investigatedgenetic differentiation in the rough-toothed dolphin, Steno bredanensis, using mitochondrial control region sequences from several localitiesworldwide (N = 112). Preliminary analyses indicated highlevels of genetic differentiation between the Atlantic and Pacific/IndianOceans, which were further investigated using complete cytochrome b sequences and mitogenomes. Phylogenetic analyses were inconclusive aboutthe existence of cryptic speciation in the genus Steno.Notwithstanding this result, analysis of molecular variance and Φ-statistics analysesrevealed strong population differentiation not only between the Atlantic andPacific, but also within the Atlantic, where three populations were detected:Caribbean, southeastern Brazil, and southern Brazil. We propose that thesepopulations be considered management units for conservation purposes. Ourresults provide the first perspective on the worldwide genetic differentiationof S. bredanensis. The pdf can be downloaded at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/zoj.12301/abstract.
Alternatively, pdf requests can be addressed to daysemaqua at gmail.com. Cheers, Haydée ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Haydée A. Cunha, PhD
MAQUA - Laboratório de Mamíferos Aquáticos e Bioindicadores (UERJ)

Faculdade de Oceanografia
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
Rua São Francisco Xavier, 524 / Sl. 4002-E
Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, Brasil
CEP 20.550-013
Tel: +55 (21) 2334-0065 / 99981-8382