[MARMAM] Harbor Porpoise workshop

jonathan stern jonneysuave at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 11:14:33 PDT 2015

Jonathan Stern
jonney at sfsu.edu

Announcing a workshop on Harbor Porpoises at the upcoming Society of Marine
Mammalogy Conference in San Francisco.

The goal of the workshop is to begin discussion among people studying
harbor porpoises in different locations, with different techniques and foci
to (1) discuss similarities and differences between locations (2) develop a
framework to quantify how harbor porpoises integrate and are affected by
natural and human-induced environmental change. (3) Perhaps see if there is
a way to distinguish between responses of porpoises to these types of
changes.

Talks will be 10 minutes, with time for discussion and questions. We are
interested in topics ranging from, but not limited to: Individuals
(energetics, movement, acoustics, mating, behavior), Population (size
estimation, aging, genetics, reproduction, distribution, mortality),
community (feeding, predation) and Ecosystem (oceanographic changes and
regimes) levels. We are also interested in topics including human (fishery,
by-catch, contaminant and noise) interactions, as well as larger climate
change issues.

We hope that this will provide an opportunity for those who study harbor
porpoises to interact and discuss their research and to put porpoises into
a 21st century context where their environment is changing. We hope this
will give us all a chance to exchange ideas and maybe set up future
collaborations.

Date and time; Saturday, Dec. 12, 2015 830-1730.

Field Trip: Friday, Dec. 11, 2015. A trip led by Golden Gate Cetacean
Research folks to see Harbor Porpoises from our local huge, stationary
Drone (i.e. the Golden Gate Bridge). Details TBA

If you are interested, have any questions, or would like to submit an
abstract (by…Sept. 30, 2015), then send an email to: Jonathan Stern (
jonney at sfsu.edu) or Christina Lockyer (christina_lockyer at hotmail.com).

Cost: $80(US) Early bird, $90 (US) after Sept. 15, 2015.

Register for this workshop through the SMM Conference Webpage.
See you in San Francisco!

--
"When Life Gets to be a Drag,
Escape to a Higher Reynolds Number"