[MARMAM] Conservation Metrics, Inc. is hiring in Santa Cruz, CA!

alexis at conservationmetrics.com alexis at conservationmetrics.com
Mon Jul 20 15:51:18 PDT 2015

We seek a person to manage our small team of ecologists/computer
scientists/statisticians and improve our tools for monitoring rare and
elusive species around the world. Conservation Metrics specializes in
automated wildlife surveys, an approach that allows our clients to increase
the scale of wildlife surveys, improve the rigor of monitoring projects, and
reduce costs and logistical constraints.

Projects include Before/After Control/Impact studies to quantify and compare
the effectiveness of conservation actions, monitoring projects to estimate
long-term population trends, surveys to quantify impacts to wildlife, and
expeditions to search for data deficient species. The Science Team Manager
will report to the President of CMI, and will manage a growing
multidisciplinary team.

The position marries cutting edge technology (sensor hardware, Big Data
analytics, machine learning, and outcomes based conservation) with important
research questions about fascinating species and ecosystems.

Scope
1. Manages the Science team to detect species of interest on data-streams,
analyze results, manage quality control and quality assurance process,
produce summary reports, and draft and edit final reports.
2. Assists clients with designing, planning and implementing CMI's
monitoring projects.
3. Refines and develops statistical approaches to best address project goals
and leverage new technology.
4. Provides expert interpretation of analysis results in relation to the
ecological questions for each project.
5. Represents CMI to customers, foundations, government and the public.
6. Tracks project expenses in coordination with CMI's VP of Business
Operations utilizing Liquid Planner Management Software.
7. Oversees data management procedures including meta-data management, data
storage and back-up, and hardware maintenance.
8. Participates in recruitment and hiring process for projects requiring
additional staff.
9. Coordinates with staff and outside consultants on Research and
Development projects to develop new analysis techniques, statistical
approaches, and sensor technology.

Qualifications

. 3-5 years of experience in ecological research, wildlife survey design,
restoration, and/or wildlife monitoring projects.
. Extensive background with script-based languages and statistical programs
for reproducible research [R (required), Matlab (desired), Python
(desired)].
. PhD in Biology, Ecology, Wildlife Science, or Computer Scientist with
biological interests/experience preferred. Candidates with a Masters Degree
and solid record of relevant work experience also considered.
. Strong background in quantitative analysis. Bayesian approaches a plus.
. Experience working with data-streams from passive sensors (acoustic,
visual, or other), including sensor deployment, processing, and data
management.
. Ability to/Interest in learning new analysis techniques, and curiosity and
skills to refine and improve evolving workflow and software projects.
. Excellent written and spoken English language skills. Fluency in other
languages a plus (we have projects around the world).
. Excellent management and organizational skill, ability to work
independently, ability to solve problems with limited supervision, and the
ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
. Valid Driver's License.
. U. S. Passport.

Job Category

Full time Positions

website

http://conservationmetrics.com/

Salary

CMI offers a salary that is competitive in our sector. Compensation will be
commensurate with experience and includes an employee benefits package.

09/08/2015

Contact Person

Matthew McKown

Contact Phone