[MARMAM] Last Chance to Join Research Expedition in Belize!

Caryn Sullivan cs1733 at nova.edu
Mon Jul 20 06:46:47 PDT 2015

We have extended the deadline for registration until August 3rd!  Please note that you must have a valid passport to join us in Belize for this unique research expedition.  Call Dr. Caryn at (540) 287-8207 for details or check out our FB Event online at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155791086960048&set=o.1520137104916210&type=3&theater.

2015: 7 or 14 Day Summer Research Expedition or Field Course - August 10-23

Expedition 1: August 10-16 $1995 + Airfare
Expedition 2: August 17-23 $1995 + Airfare
Full Expedition or Field Course: August 10-23 $3495 + Airfare + Credit Hours

Your share of the cost covers all expenses from the time you land at Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport (BZE) until departure from the same airport and includes housing, meals, ground & water transportation fees, research costs, and course materials fees.

Here's your last chance to join our research team for one or two intense weeks of total immersion into the world of animal behavior, ecology & conservation, Antillean manatees, bottlenose dolphins, coral reefs, mangroves and seagrass beds in Belize!

Expedition: For the first time, we are offering 1 or 2 week learning expeditions in conjunction with our 2-week learning expedition or field course. Join us for an adventure without the stress of course work.

Field Course: Want to get the most out of this opportunity? Enroll in our experiential learning field course and you can earn study abroad or independent study credits at your home university.

In either case, you will live, work, and study from a marine science field station on a pristine, private island off the coast of Belize. Data collected during the course will contribute to our long-term manatee and dolphin research projects. You will learn through a variety of learning activities, literature review and discussion, independent research projects, and actual field research. Be prepared to rise with the sun and work/study up to 12 hours per day: up to 12 hours outdoors; up to 6 hours on the water each day learning about the tropical Caribbean environment as we explore a maze of mangrove islands, seagrass beds, and coral patches searching for elusive manatees and charismatic dolphins.

Location: Spanish Bay Conservation & Research Center at Hugh Parkey's Belize Adventure Lodge, http://belizeadventurelodge.com/<http://belizeadventurelodge.com/>. Passport required, immunizations as recommended by CDC, http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/extended_student/belize?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-single-001

Your Share of the Costs
1-week expedition: US$1995
2-week expedition: US$3495

Both options include housing, meals, ground & water transfer fees, research & materials fees; DOES NOT include airfare, books, tips, incidentals, or credit hours.

Optional Credit Hours: The 2-week field course provides a minimum of 100 experiential learning and lecture hours in the field, plus approximately 35 hours of pre-field reading, research, and preparation; at least 50 of the 135 total hours include direct instruction by faculty. This is comparable to a 3 credit hour university course and meets the US DOE criteria in 34 CFR, SS600.2. You must make arrangements IN ADVANCE with BOTH your advising faculty and Dr. Self-Sullivan for credit to be earned through your home university. Credit hour fees must be paid directly to your school and you must fulfill any study abroad requirements of your school. This course is divided into 6 components: lectures and learning activities (~1 hour per day), independent reading and assignments (~1-2 hour per day), data collection in the field (~3-6 hours per day), project development & implementation (~1-2 hours per day), presentation of pre-field research (~1 hour per day), and debate/group discussion of reading materials (~1 hour per day).

Deadlines: Registration Deadline Extended to Monday, August 3rd at Midnight EDT.

Caryn Self-Sullivan, Ph.D.
Nova Southeastern University
NSU Email:  cs1733 at nova.edu<mailto:cs1733 at nova.edu>
http://www.nova.edu/ocean/
http://www.fischlerschool.nova.edu/

Sirenian International INC
http://sirenian.org
Ask Dr. Caryn LLC
http://AskDrCaryn.com

Mailing Address:  2010 Beach Avenue, Colonial Beach VA 22443-1519
Mobile:  540.287.8207  |  Fax:  888.504.4309