[MARMAM] New publication: genomewide genetic markers in Lagenorhynchus spp.

Ruth Fernandez ruth at mayaproject.org
Tue Jul 14 01:29:54 PDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce publication of the following paper:

*Fernández, R*., Schubert, M., Vargas-Velázquez, A.M., Brownlow, A.,
Vikingsson, G.A., Siebert, U., Jensen, L.F., Øien, N., Wall, D., Rogan, E.,
Mikkelsen, B., Dabin, W., Alfarhan, A.H., Alquraishi, S.A., Al-Rasheid,
A.S., Guillot, G., Orlando, L., 2015. A genomewide catalogue of single
nucleotide polymorphisms in white-beaked and Atlantic white-sided dolphins.
Molecular Ecology Resources, doi: 10.1111/1755-0998.12427.

*Abstract*

The field of population genetics is rapidly moving into population genomics
as the quantity of data generated by high-throughput sequencing platforms
increases. In this study, we used restriction-site-associated DNA
sequencing (RADSeq) to recover genomewide genotypes from 70
white-beaked (*Lagenorhynchus
albirostris*) and 43 Atlantic white-sided dolphins (*L. acutus*) gathered
throughout their north-east Atlantic distribution range. Both species are
at a high risk of being negatively affected by climate change. Here, we
provide a resource of 38 240 RAD-tags and 52 981 nuclear SNPs shared
between both species. We have estimated overall higher levels of nucleotide
diversity in white-sided (*π* = 0.0492 ± 0.0006%) than in white-beaked
dolphins (*π* = 0.0300 ± 0.0004%). White-sided dolphins sampled in the
Faroe Islands, belonging to two pods (*N* = 7 and *N* = 11), showed similar
levels of diversity (*π* = 0.0317 ± 0.0007% and 0.0267 ± 0.0006%,
respectively) compared to unrelated individuals of the same species sampled
elsewhere (e.g. *π* = 0.0285 ± 0.0007% for 11 Scottish individuals). No
evidence of higher levels of kinship within pods can be derived from our
analyses. When identifying the most likely number of genetic clusters among
our sample set, we obtained an estimate of two to four clusters,
corresponding to both species and possibly, two further clusters within
each species. A higher diversity and lower population structuring was
encountered in white-sided dolphins from the north-east Atlantic, in line
with their preference for pelagic waters, as opposed to white-beaked
dolphins that have a more patchy distribution, mainly across continental
shelves.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1755-0998.12427/abstract

You can also contact me at ruth.fernandez at ices.dk <susan.chivers at noaa.gov>
for a pdf.

Best,

Ruth

Dr. Ruth Fernández García

Advisory Programme Professional Officer

International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES)

Email: ruth.fernandez at ices.dk
<https://ices-webmail.ices.dk/OWA/redir.aspx?C=gogVG9RzBkyjn-sXB3yWVqbwd4TCldEIYoarjwUP56ylhqN5fj9iYDcEove9MPj-Qr2lwE8V7bg.&URL=mailto%3aruth.fernandez%40ices.dk>

Skype: ruth-fernandez-garcia

H.C. Andersens Boulevard 44-46