[MARMAM] Final call for applications for new volunteer opportunities at the Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, Wales, UK

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Fri Jan 30 01:52:42 PST 2015

WTSWW_high_res_logoCBMWC logo without boarderCardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

Dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education and
research

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is currently recruiting for a number
of exciting new volunteer positions for the 2015 season. We are looking for
a volunteer to manage our Atlantic grey seal photo-ID project, a volunteer
co-ordinator assistant and a volunteer marine education and awareness
assistant. Applications close at midnight on Sunday 1st February.

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales, UK
and is the marine wing of the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales. Since
1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local marine
environment through education and research. Using boat-based and land-based
surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we monitor bottlenose dolphin,
harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations in the Cardigan Bay
Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider Irish Sea. We also run a busy
visitor centre as well as an education and activity room which offers marine
educational and awareness raising activities for families with young
children.

Atlantic grey seal photo-ID assistant

We are recruiting a research volunteer to continue our Atlantic grey seal
photo-ID project throughout the 2015 field season (March-November).
Initiated in 2014, the seal photo-ID project aims to create a catalogue of
individuals photographed in Cardigan Bay area to learn more about their
travelling habits and areas that are important to them. This is a fantastic
opportunity to be involved in all aspects of a new CBMWC research project,
to gain valuable research and analytical skills and to make a positive
contribution to local conservation initiatives and collaborations.

Role description:

The successful volunteer will be responsible for analysing photographs of
seals taken mainly along the Cardigan Bay coast, sorting and matching images
as well as liaising with existing collaborators of this project. Depending
on skills and experience there may also be an opportunity to go out into the
field to capture images first hand throughout the field season and to assist
with the further development of the project. This project may be suitable
for an MSc project, however the student would need to commit their time for
the duration of the project (this may be negotiable). The successful
volunteer will also have the opportunity to be involved in other aspects of
CBMWC’s work and will need to be flexible and willing to help out with other
tasks associated with CBMWC’s work where required.

Essential skills and qualifications:

·      Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and
unsupervised

·      IT literate

·      Good attention to detail

·      An interest in wildlife and conservation

·      Proven report writing skills

·      Organised and dedicated

Desirable skills

·      Experience using digital SLR cameras

·      Previous experience of photo-identification (not necessarily with
seals)

·      Experience of Access databases

·      Experience using GIS programs (ESRI ArcGIS or QGIS)

·      Experience of statistical analysis

·      A background in biology/marine biology/environmental science

·      Driving licence and access to a vehicle

Commitment:

Although this is a volunteer role, we are looking for a volunteer that is
able to commit for the entire field season from 23rd March to 2nd November
2015. You will be required to work up to five days a week (including
weekends), this will depend on field work and activities as daily work
schedule can change depending on weather conditions and events planned.

To apply:

Please email a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4)
outlining your experience and motivations for applying to
<mailto:volunteer at cbmwc.org> volunteer at cbmwc.org with “Seal ID 2015” in the
subject line. The deadline is midnight on 1st February 2015. Interviews via
Skype will be held in the week commencing 9th February.

Volunteer co-ordinator assistant

We are recruiting an volunteer co-ordinator assistant for the 2015 season
(March to November) to help coordinate our volunteers and promote our work
and activities via social media networks. This is a fantastic opportunity to
learn about running a small but very active marine conservation group, to
develop skills in volunteer co-ordination and training and leadership
experience.

Role description:

·      Assist with volunteer coordination and training

·      Assist with the administration of the CBMWC

·      Provide engaging content across CBMWC social media

·      Assist in researching, developing and implementing strategies to
build our online community using social listening and management tools like
Hootsuite and Facebook Insights

·                     Develop creative, new social media campaigns

·      Assist in producing a bi-monthly CBMWC newsletter

·                     Assist with website updates

Essential skills and qualifications:

·      Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication
skills

·      Confident communicator

·      Leadership skills

·      Approachable

·      Experience of team working

·      Experience using social media

·      IT literate

·      Enthusiastic, conscientious and hard working

·      Proactive with ability to work unsupervised

·      Responsible, flexible and mature attitude

·      Excellent attention to detail

Desirable skills

·      Experience of managing small teams

·      Experience in updating Word press websites

Commitment:

This is a volunteer role.

We are looking for a volunteer that is able to commit for the entire field
season from 23rd March to 2nd November 2015. You will be required to work up
to five days a week (including weekends).

To apply:

Please email a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4)
outlining your experience and motivations for applying to
<mailto:volunteer at cbmwc.org> volunteer at cbmwc.org with “Volunteer Project
Officer 2015” in the subject line. The deadline is midnight on 1st February
2015. Interviews via Skype will be held in the week commencing 9th February.

Volunteer Marine Education and Awareness assistant

We are recruiting a voluntary Marine Education and Awareness assistant for
the 2015 season (March to November) to promote and deliver our educational
programme and assist with awareness raising work and events in the local
community. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to help run the
educational activities of a small but very active marine conservation group,
gaining experience and developing skills essential for a career in
environmental education.

Role description:

This is a volunteer role, which is ideally suited to someone who is looking
to develop a career or gain experience in environmental education.

·         Assist with development and promotion of a programme of
educational activities for the 2015 season

·      Assist with delivering educational activities from our ground floor
activity room and on the local beach (weather permitting)

·      Host visiting groups, provide talks and activities

·      Develop new educational activities and materials

·      Assist with event organisation and promotion, e.g. World Ocean Day,
The Wildlife Trusts’ National Marine Week

·      Represent CBMWC/WTSWW at outside events

·      Organise regular beach cleans

Essential skills and qualifications:

·      Fluency in English

·      Experience of working with children and families

·      Experience in delivering educational activities

·      Enthusiastic, conscientious and hard working

·      Proactive with ability to work unsupervised

·      Responsible, flexible and mature attitude

·      Interest in wildlife and conservation

·      IT skills

·      Excellent verbal and written communication skills

·      Driving licence and access to a vehicle

Desirable skills

·      An interest and knowledge of British marine life would be an
advantage

·      A background in biology, particularly marine biology/environmental
science

Commitment:

We are looking for a volunteer that is able to commit for the entire field
season from 23rd March to 2nd November 2015. You may be required to work up
to five days a week (including weekends), some evening volunteering time may
be required.

<mailto:volunteer at cbmwc.org> volunteer at cbmwc.org with “Education volunteer
2015” in the subject line. The deadline is midnight on 1st February 2015.
Interviews via Skype will be held in the week commencing 9th February.

Information for all roles:

Accommodation and expenses:

If you are from outside of the local area then we can assist with finding
accommodation.

For example, accommodation can be arranged locally in private houses for
approximately £60/week, including bills. You will be responsible for all
your own accommodation, travel and other expenses incurred however, it is
relatively easy to find a part-time job.

Contact:

For further information and any queries, please contact

Laura Mears, Project Officer

Email:  <mailto:volunteer at cbmwc.org> volunteer at cbmwc.org

Tel: 01545 560224

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

www.cbmwc.org

Laura Mears

Project Officer

Support our research - adopt a Cardigan Bay dolphin with the Cardigan Bay
Marine Wildlife Centre
<http://www.cbmwc.org/support-us/adopt-a-cardigan-bay-dolphin/>

Raise money for CBMWC with each internet search you do - it doesn't cost you
a penny  <http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC>
http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

Wales, UK

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560 224

E-bost/Email:  <mailto:info at cbmwc.org> info at cbmwc.org

Website:  <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

For all the latest news and sightings information, please visit our website,
follow us on Twitter and become a fan of our Facebook page

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

 <http://twitter.com/CBMWC> http://twitter.com/CBMWC

 <http://facebook.com/CBMWC> http://facebook.com/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is supported by the Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife Group, a marine interest group of the Wildlife Trust of South and
West Wales.

Helping to conserve Cardigan Bay's marine wildlife through education and
research

Helpu I warchod bywyd gwyllt morol Bae Ceredigion drwy addysg ac ymchwil

The contents of this email are confidential and are soley for the use of the
intended recipient. If you receive this email in error please delete it and
notify us either by email or telephone. It is prohibited to copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the contents of this email.