[MARMAM] Measuring acoustic habitats

Nathan Merchant (Cefas) nathan.merchant at cefas.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 01:05:16 PST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the fully formatted version of this paper has now been published Open Access in Methods in Ecology and Evolution:

Merchant, N.D., Fristrup, K.M., Johnson, M.P., Tyack, P.L., Witt, M.J., Blondel, P., Parks, S.E. (2015). Measuring acoustic habitats. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.12330

Please note that a file was missing (PAMGuide.fig) from the pre-proof version of the Supplementary Material due to a publishing error - this has now been fixed in the formatted version.

PAMGuide, the software which accompanies this paper, will be maintained on Source Forge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pamguide/ Any updates or additions to the software will be added here, and extensions can be developed collaboratively.

With best wishes,

Nathan Merchant

Summary

1.Many organisms depend on sound for communication, predator/prey detection, and navigation. The acoustic environment can therefore play an important role in ecosystem dynamics and evolution. A growing number of studies are documenting acoustic habitats and their influences on animal development, behaviour, physiology, and spatial ecology, which has led to increasing demand for passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) expertise in the life sciences. However, as yet, there has been no synthesis of data processing methods for acoustic habitat monitoring, which presents an unnecessary obstacle to would-be PAM analysts.

2.Here, we review the signal processing techniques needed to produce calibrated measurements of terrestrial and aquatic acoustic habitats. We include a supplemental tutorial and template computer codes in MATLAB and R, which give detailed guidance on how to produce calibrated spectrograms and statistical analyses of sound levels. Key metrics and terminology for the characterisation of biotic, abiotic, and anthropogenic sound are covered, and their application to relevant monitoring scenarios is illustrated through example datasets. To inform study design and hardware selection, we also include an up-to-date overview of terrestrial and aquatic PAM instruments.

3.Monitoring of acoustic habitats at large spatiotemporal scales is becoming possible through recent advances in PAM technology. This will enhance our understanding of the role of sound in the spatial ecology of acoustically sensitive species, and inform spatial planning to mitigate the rising influence of anthropogenic noise in these ecosystems. As we demonstrate in this work, progress in these areas will depend upon the application of consistent and appropriate PAM methodologies.

*******
Dr Nathan Merchant
Senior Scientist, Underwater Noise
Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas)
Pakefield Road
Lowestoft
Suffolk NR33 0HT

+44 (0) 1502 527780

nathan.merchant at cefas.co.uk
www.cefas.defra.gov.uk
[cefas_logo_small]
This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only. Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.
If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender. In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own
and do not necessarily reflect those of Cefas.
Communications on Cefas’ computer systems may be monitored and/or recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.