[MARMAM] Research Assistants Needed in Reykjavik, Iceland

Megan Wittaker megan at elding.is
Wed Jan 28 04:07:33 PST 2015

Research Assistant needed in Reykjavik, Iceland, for summer 2015.

Elding Whale Watching Reykjavik is looking for three voluntary research assistants with a passport from an EEA country to assist for 5 months (1 st May to the 31 st September 2015). Research is conducted in co-operation with the University of Iceland’s research center in H úsavik and it comprises of photo identification and behavioral studies mainly of minke whales and white-beaked dolphins but occasionally also humpback whales, orca, fin whales and basking sharks.

Elding Whale Watching Reykjavik is a family owned company established in 2000. Elding has from the beginning worked closely with the University of Iceland offering our boats as a platform for marine biologists so that we can better understand the wildlife we are encountering on our tours. For further information regarding the company please visit our website at www.elding.is .

Research will be conducted on the whale watching tours (3 hours, 3 times a day). There will always be two assistants on board taking data and one on land processing, cropping, ID matching and uploading onto an online database. Each researcher will have four days at sea and two days on land processing. Working day averages at about 12-14 hours for those at sea and 6-8 hours those on land. You will have every Sunday off work as well as bad weather days when tours are cancelled.

We are looking for assistant that;

    * Have a strong interest and education in marine science specifically cetaceans and marine birds.
    * Good spotting skills
    * Have experience on boats preferably above 17m and not acceptable to seasickness easily.
    * Be able to work calmly and politely under pressure and sometimes in stressful situations.
    * Must be a quick learner, adaptive, have a very good sense of humour, hard working, outgoing and generally a very positive person.
    * Willingness to work long hours outdoors in sometimes unfavorable weathers.
    * A Team Player
    * Physically fit - there may be some heavy lifting. i.e. moving cases of drinks or working with heavy ropes, being on your feet for most the day.
    * Have their own equipment e.g. DSLR camera and computer.

Assistants will be responsible for their own travel costs, travel insurance and personal expenses but accommodation is provided throughout the working period as well as an afternoon hot meal.

Further information on living and working in Iceland can be found at http://www.mcc.is/media/frettir/Living_and_working_in_Iceland.pdf and www.iceland.is

Accommodation

You will be living on an old converted capelin fishing boat that now acts as a permanently stationed gift shop/ waiting area/ small museum for our passengers in the heart of Iceland’s capital city, Reykjavik. You will get your own small bedroom but the living area, shower room, kitchen and toilet, with all essentials, will be communal with the other researchers.

How to apply:

Please email your cv, covering letter specifying any relevant experience and qualifications to Megan Whittaker ( megan at elding.is ) by the 31 st February 2015.
Megan Whittaker
Head Guide
Elding Whale Watching
Ægisgarður 5, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
Tel. (+354) 519 5090

Elding Whale Watching
Elding Viðey Tours
Tel: ( +354) 519 5000
elding at elding.is
www.elding.is / www.videy.com

Add us on Facebook Elding Whale Watching Reykjavík
Follow us on Twitter: EldingWhale
Check our Videos on YouTube: Reykjavik Activities

Elding is EarthCheck Certified and our boats carry the Blue Flag. In 2008 we received the Environmental Award of the Icelandic Tourist Board and in 2012 we received VAKINN EnviroGold and Endorsed Travel Service by the Icelandic Tourist Board.
- check out our environmental policy
Please think of the environment; please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.