[MARMAM] Senior Marine Biology Analyst vacancy at UKHO

Liddell Kate Kate.Liddell at UKHO.gov.uk
Mon Jan 19 04:38:15 PST 2015

Please see below for details of a UK based position suitable for those with a background in marine mammals.

Senior Marine Biology Analyst

Grade: B2

Salary: £29,712 + benefits

Location: Taunton, Somerset

As part of the Ministry of Defence trading fund, at the UK Hydrographic Office, we produce nautical publications and services for the Royal Navy and merchant shipping, to protect lives at sea. Maintaining our leading position supporting the global mission of our national security forces, we employ around 1000 people based in Taunton, Somerset, with a vision to be the world's best provider of hydrographic data services. It takes brilliant people to achieve our vision. And that's where you come in.

Joining the Defence Situational Awareness Marine Environment team, you'll identify and analyse a range of data sources to provide expert assessments of the marine biological environment for Navy operations. Helping to minimise potentially adverse environment impacts, you'll develop a network of contacts throughout the scientific community to access the best and most current scientific understanding. From planning and research to data analysis and report writing, you'll always be looking for ways to improve the quality and usefulness of our insights. It will be down to you to keep abreast of new developments in data analysis tools and techniques, as well as the availability of marine biological datasets.

You'll join us with in-depth knowledge and understanding of the marine biological environment, and will probably hold a relevant postgraduate qualification. Practical experience of digital data analysis and databasing techniques applied to marine biological data is essential. Aware of current issues and legislation relating to the conservation of the marine environment, you'll have a good understanding of remote sensing principles, as well as image analysis and interpretation. This should include knowledge of GIS software packages such as ArcGIS. An excellent communicator, used to sharing research in meetings, conferences and presentations, you'll be able to draw on a range of data presentation and data visualisation techniques.

In return we offer opportunities for ongoing learning and career development and a generous benefits package including Civil Service pension, onsite gym, onsite crèche, free car parking, flexitime, childcare vouchers and a subsidised canteen.

This is an MOD reserved post and therefore applications will only be accepted from UK Nationals. (Those with dual nationality are ineligible to apply.) Successful applicants will require NSV security clearance and will therefore need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of five years.

To find out more and apply please visit http://www.ukho.gov.uk/AboutUs/Careers/Pages/home.aspx.

Applications close on the 2nd February at midnight.

Dr Kate Liddell
Marine Biology Analyst Lead

Defence Situational Awareness

United Kingdom Hydrographic Office
Admiralty Way
TAUNTON
Somerset
TA1 2DN

Direct line: 01275 392280
mail: kate.liddell at ukho.gov.uk <mailto:kate.liddell at ukho.gov.uk>

www.ukho.gov.uk <http://www.ukho.gov.uk>

P please consider the environment before printing this email

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are the property of the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office and are intended for the confidential use of the named recipient only. Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return e-mail. This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept by Sophos Antivirus for the presence of computer viruses. You are however advised to carry out your own virus checks.