[MARMAM] Dr. Kanjana Adulyanukosol

Ellen M Hines ehines at sfsu.edu
Sat Jan 10 16:24:02 PST 2015

Dear Colleagues,  yesterday, January 10, 2015, Dr. Kanjana Adulyanukosol, passed away from liver cancer.  Kanjana was the foremost dugong scientist in Thailand.  She began to study dugongs in 1988, and worked tirelessly to bring awareness of dugongs and their conservation to Thailand and beyond.   Dr. Kanjana was a wonderful and generous woman who inspired, mentored and challenged many of us, and became our lifelong friend.  Her books and papers are an impressive scientific contribution, while her exhibits, posters and famous t-shirts became lessons and examples in the importance of reaching out beyond the scientific community.  Her pioneering research on  Bryde's whales in the upper Gulf of Thailand has brought us a wealth of valuable knowledge.  She tirelessly communicated her message of marine mammal conservation to countless local communities.  For myself and many others, to have known and loved Kanjana has shaped our lives and our science.  To continue within her legacy will be the greatest honor.

Ellen Hines, PhD
Associate Director & Professor of Geography
Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies
San Francisco State University
3152 Paradise Drive
Tiburon, CA 94920 USA
1 415 338 3512