[MARMAM] ECS Workshop on marine mammal mitigation methods and guidelines

Frances Robertson frances.c.robertson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 16:01:18 PST 2015

Dear MarMam and ECS Communities,

Apologies for cross posting.

On behalf of the Marine Mammal Observer Association and the New Zealand
Department of Conservation we would like to bring to your attention to the
following workshop, to be held at the the 29th Annual ECS conference in
Malta in March.

*ECS Workshop*

*New mitigation methods and evolving acoustic exposure guidelines*

*Malta*

*March 21st 2015*

*9am-5pm*

New Zealand Department of Conservation in association with the MMOA.

This workshop is offered by the MMOA and New Zealand’s Department of
Conservation. The purpose of the workshop is to cover changes in technology
and recently developed methods, and to look at current methods used in
mitigation with a view to improving or enhancing marine mammal mitigation
guidelines in New Zealand and elsewhere.  The workshop will be structured
around two sessions; the first session will concentrate on novel
technologies used in mitigation, while the second will discuss mitigation
guidelines for seismic surveys and other activities and the roles these new
technologies may play in them.  Experts will present on a variety of topics
including sound measurement, multi-beam, thermal imaging, acoustic
deterrents, PAM and the use of streamers for PAM systems, acoustic exposure
guidelines and soft start procedures. The workshop will end with a
discussion which will consider how these methods may be used to improve
mitigation, how they may be implemented and lastly guideline improvements.

We recognise that we will not be aware of all emerging technologies and new
data on mitigation effectiveness. We therefore welcome the submission of
posters on relevant topics for discussion during the breaks and in the
free-flowing session at the end of the day.

If you wish to present a poster at this workshop, please contact Frances
Robertson: frances.c.robertson at gmail.com

To register for this workshop please contact either:

Andrew Wright: marinebrit at gmail.com   Or   Patrick Lyne: plyne1 at eircom.net

Best wishes,

Workshop Organizers.

--