[MARMAM] Blue Ocean Society- Research and Education Internships- Deadline March 15

Dianna Schulte, Blue Ocean Society dianna at blueoceansociety.org
Thu Feb 26 09:20:24 PST 2015

Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation is accepting applications for
Summer 2015 Research and Education Interns.   Application deadline- March
15, 2015.

Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation is a nonprofit organization based
in Portsmouth, NH, USA with a mission to protect marine mammals in the Gulf
of Maine through education, research and conservation. We achieve our goals
primarily through our core programs which include outreach/school programs,
whale watch trips and beach cleanups.

Blue Ocean Society's Research and Education Internship Program is a
structured program designed to provide undergraduates and recent post-grads
with hands-on experience in the field of whale research and marine
conservation.  Interns will be directly involved with contributing to our
long-term studies of several wild cetacean species (humpback, fin, minke
whales, etc) in the Gulf of Maine while working aboard commercial whale
watching vessels departing from NH and northern MA.

Responsibilities:

.         Collect detailed data (environmental and behavioral) on local
marine species and marine debris

.         Interact with passengers of all ages and backgrounds

.         Enter data

.         Attend weekly meetings and lectures

.         Complete weekly reading assignments

.         Assist with beach cleanups

.         Assist with school/outreach programs (primarily in June)

Qualifications:

.         Must possess a strong work ethic, have high attention to detail
and the ability to work with limited supervision

.         Must be self-motivated, friendly and able to talk to small groups

.         Must be 18 or older

.         Preference is given to those who can commit to a minimum of at
least 10 weeks

.         Must be available on weekends and holidays

.         Must be available to start by June 1, 2015

Prior experience is not required and all training is provided.

Additional opportunities may be available to assist at our Blue Ocean
Discovery Center in Hampton Beach, NH.

This is an unpaid position. Interns are responsible for their own housing
and transportation.

Please visit  <http://www.blueoceansociety.org/Jobs/intern.html>
http://www.blueoceansociety.org/Jobs/intern.html for full Internship
information.

Details on how to apply can be found here
<http://www.blueoceansociety.org/Jobs/app_forms.html>
http://www.blueoceansociety.org/Jobs/app_forms.html.

Application deadline is March 15, 2015.

Dianna Schulte

Research and Intern Coordinator

Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation

Gov. John Langdon House

143 Pleasant Street

Portsmouth, NH 03801

Office: 603-431-0260