[MARMAM] New publication on the social aspect of food calling in bottlenose dolphins

Stephanie King slk33 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 23:52:56 PST 2015

Dear all

We are pleased to announce our new publication:

King, S.L., and Janik, V.M. 2015. Come dine with me: food-associated social signalling in wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Animal Cognition. DOI: 10.1007/s10071-015-0851-7

Abstract:

Food-related signalling is widespread in the animal kingdom with some food-associated vocalisations considered functionally referential. Food calls can, however, vary greatly in the type of information they convey. Thus, there are a multitude of purposes for which food calls are used, including social recruitment, caller spacing, the indication of type, quantity, quality, divisibility of food, the caller’s hunger level and even as tools to manipulate prey behaviour. Yet little work has focused on the social aspect of food calling in animals. We investigated the association of social signals in wild bottlenose dolphins with foraging behaviour where context-specific food-associated calls are commonly produced. Our data showed that specific social signals were significantly correlated with food call production and these calls rarely occurred in the absence of food calls. We suggest that animals are sharing additional information on the food patch itself with their social affiliates.
You can access the paper here http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-015-0851-7

best wishes

Stephanie

Dr. Stephanie L. King