[MARMAM] Offshore oil and gas processing - Request for information/recordings

Michael Stocker mstocker at ocr.org
Mon Feb 16 13:34:04 PST 2015

Developing technology in offshore deepwater fossil fuel extraction and
processing (E&P) is introducing equipment and practices that involve
seafloor mounted equipment used to "pre-refine" (separate wanted product
from unwanted brine, gas, mud, and solids), re-inject unwanted materials and
substances back into a reservoir, and pump or pressure drive wanted product
to the surface. In many locations this multi-phase materials handling is
being done across high differential pressures, and likely some consequent
noise.

We have some evidence of noises from these installations interfering with
passive monitoring of marine mammals but have yet been able to quantify (or
qualify) the noises. As these deepwater installations are becoming
increasingly ubiquitous (almost all outer continental shelf areas except the
east and west coast of the US, the US Arctic, and Antarctic) we suspect that
some members of this list have inadvertently recorded or measured some of
this sound in the course of their work.

If you have any of data on, or recordings of deepwater fossil fuel
operations we would find them very useful in designing a monitoring project.
We would not use any of these data for publication.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Michael Stocker, Director
Ocean Conservation Research
P.O. Box 559
Lagunitas, CA  94938