[MARMAM] Recently published paper regarding craniometry of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus)

Dusica Divac Brnic dusadivacb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 09:18:33 PST 2015

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the publication of our recent paper:

*DURAS, M., D. DIVAC BRNIC, T. GOMERCIC, A. GALOV: Craniometry of
bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) from the Adriatic Sea. Vet. arhiv
84, 649­666, 2014.*

 *ABSTRACT*

 The bottlenose dolphin (*Tursiops truncatus*) is a cetacean distributed
worldwide with an external morphology that varies between different
populations. An endangered population of bottlenose dolphins inhabits the
Adriatic Sea and is legally protected. The skulls of 95 adult bottlenose
dolphins (47 females and 43 males, 5 of unknown sex) were morphometrically
analyzed. They originated from bottlenose dolphins stranded dead from 1990
to 2011 in the Croatian part of the Adriatic Sea. For each animal a total
of up to 53 skull measurements and meristic characters were taken using
slide calipers to the nearest 0.01 cm. Sexual dimorphism within the
Adriatic population was analyzed while the average morphometric values of
Adriatic specimens were compared with published values for the genus
Tursiops from different geographical areas. Male Adriatic bottlenose
dolphins were significantly larger in terms of 19 craniometric
characteristics compared to females. The male skull is wider along the
rostrum, at the level of the braincase and at the orbital region. Their
braincase is higher and longer and their teeth are higher. Comparison of
morphometrical values between Adriatic bottlenose dolphins and populations
from other seas confirms geographical polymorphism within the species *T.
truncatus*. Our study showed that the skull size follows Bergmann’s rule,
with larger skulls found in colder waters, while smaller skulls are found
in populations from temperate and tropical seas. Our results represent
referent craniometrical values for the Adriatic bottlenose dolphin and
should be used when implementing morphometry in population conservation.

A pdf copy of the paper can be downloaded free of charge at:
http://www.vef.unizg.hr/vetarhiv/papers/2014-84-6-8.pdf

<http://www.vef.unizg.hr/vetarhiv/papers/2014-84-6-8.pdf>

Sincerely,

Dusica Divac Brnic