[MARMAM] New Publication: CYP1A1 as POP Biomarker in Stranded Pacific Island Cetaceans

Melannie Bachman - NOAA Affiliate melannie.bachman at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 27 13:04:28 PDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to inform you of our recent
publication in *Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry*.

Bachman MJ, Foltz KM, Lynch JM, West KL, Jensen BA.  Using Cytochrome
P4501A1 Expression in Liver and Blubber to Understand Effects of Persistent
Organic Pollutant Exposure in Stranded Pacific Island Cetaceans. Environ
Toxicol Chem 2015; 34: 1989-1995.

Abstract: Elevated levels of persistent organic pollutants (POPs) have been
reported in tropical Pacific Island cetaceans and their environment. In
addition, recent health concerns in cetacean populations have warranted
investigation into potential physiological effects from POP exposure for
this region. Cytochrome P450 1A1 (CYP1A1) is a candidate for examining such
effects. This well-studied biomarker of exposure and effect was examined in
stranded cetacean liver using immunoblot (n=39, 16 species) and blubber
using immunohistochemistry (n=23, 10 species). Paired tissue samples
allowed for CYP1A1 comparisons not only between species but also within
each individual animal to examine differences between tissue types. Liver
CYP1A1 expression correlated positively and significantly with blubber
concentrations of all POP categories (n=39, p < 0.050) except
octachlorostyrene and pentachlorobenzene (p > 0.100). Among Stenella
species, liver CYP1A1 tissue expression was correlated negatively with the
sum of all blubber layer endothelial cell CYP1A1 expression (n=14,
p=0.049). Overall, elevated expression of liver CYP1A1 confirms its use as
a biomarker of POP exposure to cetaceans stranded in the tropical Pacific
basin. Environ Toxicol Chem 2015;34:1989–1995.

This article is available online (
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/etc.3018/abstract).

Please send pdf requests to Melannie Bachman (melannie.bachman at noaa.gov).

Sincerely,