[MARMAM] Anouncement: SMM Workshop - Unmanned Aerial Systems: Powerful and Cost-Effective Tools for Marine Science and Conservation

Lawson, Jack Jack.Lawson at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Thu Aug 20 10:19:07 PDT 2015

Good morning everyone,

we are organizing a workshop on hardware, applications, and issues associated with using unmanned aerial systems (UAS) at the Biennial conference in San Francisco. UAS offer a very capable and dynamic platform to study a growing variety of marine issues, and marine mammal researchers have been quick to seize new opportunities to utilize autonomous or remotely-controlled platforms in their research. While opening up new avenues for our studies, this hardware is evolving quickly, and faces varied (and at times unpredictable) regulatory regimes. This workshop will offer attendees the opportunity to learn what others have been doing with UAS systems, where UAS development is headed in the (near) future, and what regulations we are do, or might, face in different countries and contexts. Not to mention we will see some amazing marine mammal and sea turtle imagery from vantage points heretofore unavailable to researchers!

If you are attending the conference please consider participating in this workshop (which is filling up fast!):

Title: Unmanned Aerial Systems: Powerful and Cost-Effective Tools for Marine Science and Conservation
Overview: The intent of this workshop is to review the state-of-the-art for regulations, hardware, software, and data management in studies of marine species using various types of remotely-controlled or autonomous aerial platforms.
Date/Time: Sunday, December 13, 2015; 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Organizers and contact emails: Jack Lawson (jack.lawson at dfo-mpo.gc.ca), Dave Johnston (david.johnston at duke.edu), Eric A. Ramos (eramos at gradcenter.cuny.edu), Laura May-Collado (lmaycollado at gmail.com), Diana Reiss (dlr28 at columbia.edu), Marcelo O. Magnasco (mgnsclb at mail.rockefeller.edu)
General Description and Agenda: The intent of this workshop is to review the state-of-the-art for regulations, hardware, software, and data management in studies of marine mammals using various types of remotely-controlled platforms. In this full-day meeting we will present and discuss four main topics:
(1) regulatory updates (U.S., Canada, Europe, Others) - an overview of existing and proposed operating regulations, legal initiatives, and outstanding issues - including permitting. No-fly zones and software/hardware solutions to automate Class A and B airspace protection. "Common sense" operational guidelines.
(2) Brief presentations on emerging applications; perhaps coupled with discussions on sensors.
(3) platform features, uses, costs, and limits - a discussion, highlighted by specific examples, of each type of platform detailing its demonstrated applications, advantages, limits, and future. We would include fixed-wing and rotary-winged UAVs.
(4) workflow, data management, and operational best practices - a discussion, highlighted by specific examples, of how best to utilize these platforms and integrate multiple data flows (e.g., video, imagery, GPS, topographic information) for post-operation analyses.
In addition to a number of presentations, a product from this workshop will be a "best practices guide" manuscript to submit to Marine Mammal Science.
We are currently creating a more detailed agenda, and will forward this to participants in the near future.
Cost: $80 (Early Bird); $90 (After September 15, 2015)

You can follow a link to register for this, and other, workshops: https://www.marinemammalscience.org/conference/workshops/

On behalf of this workshop's organizers, we look forward to seeing participants at the Biennial!

Dr. Jack Lawson
Research Scientist / Chercheur scientifique
Marine Mammals Section / Section de mammiféres marins
Fisheries and Oceans Canada / Pêches et Océans Canada
NAFC, 80 East White Hills Rd.
St. John's, NL / Terre-Neuve et Labrador
Canada   A1C 5X1
(709) 772-2285     (709) 772-4105 (FAX)
jack.lawson at dfo-mpo.gc.ca