[MARMAM] Fall Internship with NECWA
krillcarson at me.com
Sun Aug 16 15:26:18 PDT 2015
Marine Wildlife Internship Program - 2015 Fall Season
Sponsored by the New England Coastal Wildlife Alliance (NECWA) at www.necwa.org
The New England Coastal Wildlife Alliance (NECWA), based in southeastern Massachusetts, is now accepting applicants for our fall Marine Wildlife Internship Program. NECWA accepts upper level high school, college, and graduate students who have an interest in the field of marine biology. NECWA interns work alongside staff members to conduct a variety of educational programs, research projects, and conservation activities.
Fall internships begin in August/September and continue into the fall to early winter. Most internships require a 3-month commitment, but flexibility can be built into the program if requested. Interns must commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week. Internship positions are non-paid and can be coordinated privately or through a school or university program. Interns must provide their own transportation to and from work areas and housing is not provided. The NECWA office is based in Middleboro, MA and the majority of field activities associated with the nonprofit are conducted in Plymouth as well as Cape Cod.
To learn more about our internship program, go to our Marine Wildlife Internship webpage at http://necwa.org/internships.html.
Internship activities can include:
· Working as a research assistant aboard commercial whale watching boats operating out of Plymouth Harbor. (April through the end of October)
· Inputting sighting data into Excel and FileMaker Pro
· Learning photo-identification techniques that utilize Adobe PhotoShop to process photographic images of individual whales, sharks and ocean sunfish.
· Assisting with strandings and necropsies of ocean sunfish and basking sharks on Cape Cod beaches.
· Assisting with sea turtles strandings and rescues.
· Assisting with sea turtle and torpedo ray necropsies in early winter.
The New England Coastal Wildlife Alliance (NECWA) is a non-profit organization based in southeastern MA. We are dedicated to the protection and conservation of the unique coastal marine wildlife off New England. We conduct field research on a number of species of marine animals in an effort to advance our understandings of their biology and ecology as well as support conservation efforts on their behalf. Information collected through our research activities is also used to form the basis of our educational outreach activities within the New England community.
To learn more about NECWA, visit us at:
· our website at www.necwa.org
· our blog at www.necwanews.blogspot.com
· and at NEBShark at www.nebshark.org
For more information on NECWA's Internship Program, contact our Internship Coordinator, Mary Nash, at mcnash at capecod.net.
More information about the MARMAM