[MARMAM] Exclusive Offer for Sept Cetacean Research Survey in the Hebrides

Volunteer Coordinator volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Fri Aug 7 07:58:20 PDT 2015

*SEEKING VOLUNTEERS*

Dear All,

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) conducts cetacean surveys
throughout our field season from aboard our research yacht
(http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-Silurian.asp) Silurian.

Every year we welcome aboard enthusiastic volunteers who are willing to
contribute directly to our research work.  Volunteers, in effect, become
marine mammal scientists for the duration of the survey; living and working
aboard Silurian, assisting with day-to-day running, as well as working
together as a team to carry out visual and acoustic surveys.  To find out
more about the research onboard please follow the link
(http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-on-silurian.asp).

We have produced a short a short video about joining us aboard, please
follow the link to watch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_3r-GKfh8o)

Volunteers will assist fully in the collection of data, with mega-fauna and
sea bird identification training provided.  Acoustic and visual methods are
combined to produce comprehensive data sets. During encounters photographs
are taken of dorsal fins to try and identify the individual, gaining a
better understanding of species movements and interactions with each other.

The data collected, and subsequent information produced is essential when
monitoring the distribution, relative abundance and habitat preference of
cetacean species in the Hebrides. Only with coherent data can effective
conservation and management strategies be designed to enable long-term
protection of the amazing species found in Hebridean waters.

As a volunteer onboard Silurian, you will have the opportunity to see
first-hand the amazing variety of marine wildlife the UK has to offer
including whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sharks and seabirds. You will
explore some of the remotest, wildest parts of the British Isles - anchoring
each night in a different secluded bay off one of the many Hebridean
islands, venturing ashore to explore if you wish.  The opportunity to gain
sailing experience is also available, although no certificates are issued.

Rendezvous location is in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, where HWDT is
based.  More information on specific surveys will be provided on request.
There is a monetary value attached to participating

which includes accommodation (aboard) and food throughout the duration.  The
income generated allows HWDT to continue this well established research
programme, you can be assured that without your contribution the research
couldn't be undertaken.

2015 Survey Dates:

*	1st - 12th September; £877.50 (35% off to fill remaining berths)
*	22nd - 30th September; £1,050

·         5th - 13th October**; £950
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=militarysurvey.asp>

** Joint Warrior
<http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2013/april/10/130
410-joint-warrior>  Military Exercise Monitoring Survey
(http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=militarysurvey.asp)

For further  information about our surveys please go online to:

http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/get-involved-join-us-onboard.asp

For Further information about HWDT please go online to:

www.hwdt.org

Or contact HWDT’s volunteer coordinator Morven Russell

Email: volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org

Telephone: 01688 302620

Thank you, and hope to see you aboard this season!

Morven Russell
Volunteer Coordinator
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
28 Main Street
Tobermory
Isle of Mull
PA75 6NU

Tel: 01688 302620
 <mailto:volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org> volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org

 <http://www.hwdt.org/> www.hwdt.org

Please note my standard working days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust is dedicated to enhancing knowledge
and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans)
and the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within Hebridean communities as a basis for the lasting conservation of
local species and habitats.