[MARMAM] HWDT- FINAL CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

Kerry Froud biodiversityofficer at hwdt.org
Fri Apr 24 02:39:29 PDT 2015

FINAL CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

Dear All,

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) conducts cetacean surveys
throughout our field season (May - October) from aboard our research yacht
Silurian. < <http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-Silurian.asp>
http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-Silurian.asp>

Every year we welcome aboard enthusiastic volunteers who are willing to
contribute directly to our research work.  Volunteers, in effect, become
marine mammal scientists for the duration of the survey; living and working
aboard Silurian, assisting with day-to-day running, as well as working
together as a team to carry out visual and acoustic surveys.  To find out
more about the research onboard please click here <
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-on-silurian.asp>
http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-on-silurian.asp> .

***HWDT are issuing a final call for volunteers in a bid to fill the
remaining berth for the survey running 3rd – 11th May. HWDT  are unable to
run these surveys without a minimum of 5 volunteers and are therefore
heavily discounting this first survey, offering you the chance to join us
aboard for only £250 for a 9 day survey.  HWDT have also massively reduced
the cost of participating in the 2nd survey, now only £575 for a 9 day
survey! ***

Volunteers will assist fully in the collection of data, with mega-fauna and
sea bird identification training provided.  Acoustic and visual methods are
combined to produce comprehensive data sets. During encounters photographs
are taken of dorsal fins to try and identify the individual, gaining a
better understanding of species movements and interactions with each other.
The data collected, and subsequent information produced is essential when
monitoring the distribution, relative abundance and habitat preference of
cetacean species in the Hebrides. Only with coherent data can effective
conservation and management strategies be designed to enable long-term
protection of the amazing species found in our waters.

As a volunteer onboard Silurian, you will have the opportunity to see
first-hand the amazing variety of marine wildlife the UK has to offer
including whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sharks and seabirds. You will
explore some of the remotest, wildest parts of the British Isles, anchoring
each night in a different secluded bay off one of the many Hebridean
islands, venturing ashore to explore.  The opportunity to gain sailing
experience is also available, although no certificates are issued.

If you are interested in joining the May survey please contact Morven
Russell on  <mailto:volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org>
volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org or call 01688 302620.

For further  information about our surveys please go online to:

 <http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/get-involved-join-us-onboard.asp>
http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/get-involved-join-us-onboard.asp

For Further information about HWDT please go online to:

 <http://www.hwdt.org> www.hwdt.org