[MARMAM] New paper on mysticete evolutionary relationships

Felix G. Marx felix.marx at otago.ac.nz
Wed Apr 22 22:55:39 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

we are pleased to announce the recent publication of a new phylogenetic analysis of living and extinct baleen whales, based on both morphological and molecular data:

Marx, F.G. and Fordyce, R. E. 2015. Baleen boom and bust: a synthesis of mysticete phylogeny, diversity and disparity. Royal Society Open Science 2:140434.

Our study provides the first fully dated mysticete phylogeny, with all nodes (even those giving rise to purely fossil lineages) dated using a combined molecular/morphological clock approach. In addition, we provide an accompanying database of more than 4,000 specimen images on MorphoBank (www.morphobank.org, project 687). The paper is freely accessible at:

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/2/4/140434

Thank you very much and kind regards,

Felix Marx

Felix G. Marx PhD
JSPS Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Division of Biotic Evolution/ Department of Geology and Palaeontology
National Museum of Nature and Science
4-1-1 Amakubo, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0005, Japan; tel. +81 (0)29-853-8263
---
Research Collaborator, School of Earth Sciences, University of Bristol, United Kingdom