[MARMAM] Synthetic Porpoise Communication: Bioacoustics Paper

Boris Culik bculik at fh3.de
Tue Apr 14 07:45:59 PDT 2015

Dear all,

We are pleased to inform you that our article

*Synthetic communication signals influence wild harbour porpoise
(Phocoena phocoena) behaviour
*has been published on Taylor & Francis Online.
It is available at:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09524622.2015.1023848.

*Boris Culik^a ^* , Christian von Dorrien^b , Vailett Müller^c &
Matthias Conrad^d ^e *

We used our novel and programmable Porpoise Alarm (PAL, patd.) to
synthesize life-like, electronic harbour porpoise communication signals
based on those described for captive animals. In the Little Belt,
Denmark, we employed PAL (source level 158 ± 1 dB p–p re 1 μPa at 1 m;
centroid frequency 133 ± 8.5 kHz) to synthesize three aggressive click
train types termed “A”, “F3” and “M1” to naive, free-living harbour
porpoises. Via theodolite tracking (372 h of total visual effort spread
over 10 expeditions) we found that, depending on signal type, porpoises
either avoid or become attracted to PAL: Signal types “A” and “F3” are
slight deterrents, porpoises increasing minimum range (+23 to 32 m,
respectively), whereas “M1” attracts porpoises, reducing range (by
− 29 m). As determined via archival acoustic detectors (AADs), both
signals “F3” and “M1” led the animals to significantly intensify their
click rate (by +10% and 68%, respectively) while signal “A” led to a
significant reduction ( − 59%). We propose that equipping fishing gear
with PAL emitting signal “F3” could potentially reduce porpoise by-catch
by increasing (1) awareness through enhanced echolocation and (2)
distance to the nets. Detection probability and radius of PAL/AAD
tandems could be improved by emitting signal “M1” to focus porpoise
echolocation signals on the AAD. The signal may also be useful in luring
animals away from hazards, which may be helpful for conservation
measures prior to the onset of harmful acoustic activities such as
pile-driving, seismic exploration or ammunition clearance.

Kind regards,
Boris

--
Boris Culik