[MARMAM] Request for right whale and humpback whale morphometric and body condition data from strandings/carcasses/catches

Fredrik denupplyste at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 2 05:29:08 PDT 2015

Dear
colleagues,

As
part of a larger bioenergetic study on baleen whales, I am looking for data on
right whale and humpback whale morphometrics and body condition from carcasses
(strandings, commercial/scientific catches, and similar). I am interested in
data from all age classes (adult, juvenile, calves). Knowing that detailed data
on these two species is quite scarce, I am looking for any of the following
information (I am obviously not expecting to find all this information from the
same animals):

Morphometrics:

-Body
length (as well as distance between different body parts)

-Girth
(or half girth) (single or multiple sites)

-Blubber
thickness (single or multiple sites)

-Total
body weight

-Blubber
weight

-Muscle
weight

-Visceral
fat weight

-Bone
weight

-Weight
of other internal organs (heart, kidney, liver)

-Stomach
size/volume

Chemical
composition:

-Blubber
lipid concentration (total lipids, protein and water)

-Muscle
lipid concentration

-Visceral
fat lipid concentration

-Bone
lipid concentration

-Lipid
concentration in other organs (heart, kidney, liver)

-Oil
yield from different tissues and organs

Reproductive
variables:

-Sex

-Foetus
length/weight

-Number of corpora (Corpus luteum, Corpora
albicantia and Corpora abberantia) in ovaries

-Size
of uterine cornua/horns

-Testis
volume/weight

If
your lab/organisation have any of this information (for either right whales or
humpback whales), and potentially willing to share it, please email me on
f.christiansen at murdoch.edu.au.

Best
regards,

Fredrik
Christiansen

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Cetacean Research Unit, School of Veterinary and Life Sciences

Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia

+61 417 502 098, f.christiansen at murdoch.edu.au

http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=vkA5Y3EAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Fredrik_Christiansen3/?ev=hdr_xprf