[MARMAM] New publications: online tool for calculating pelagic current drift

Erik van Sebille e.vansebille at unsw.edu.au
Wed Sep 24 19:16:30 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I am very happy to announce that the Journal of Experimental Marine Biology
and Ecology (JEMBE) has this week published my latest manuscript,
introducing a simple, fast and freely available online tool to study drift
in the ocean. As most pelagic marine mammals inevitably drift to some
extend, I though you might be interested in this paper for research or
teaching purposes.

van Sebille, E. (2014), Adrift.org.au -- A free, quick and easy tool to
quantitatively study planktonic surface drift in the global ocean, *J Exp
Mar Biol Ecol*, *461*, 317-322, doi:10.1016/j.jembe.2014.09.002
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2014.09.002>.

I am a physical oceanographer by training, and interested in ocean currents
and the way they advect "stuff" like heat, nutrients, plankton and even
plastic. In the last few years, I have created a method to study dispersion
on the ocean surface, using trajectories from observed drifting buoys. This
method is so simple and powerful that I created a website around it at
adrift.org.au and this paper in JEMBE is the introduction of that website
for marine scientists interested in ocean drift.

As I state at the end of the manuscript, I hope "that adrift.org.au is a
valuable addition to the landscape of tracking tools and that the site will
be used by scientists, both in their teaching and their research, who are
interested in how ocean currents shape ecosystems".

You can download the pdf at
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022098114002445 or
contact me via email at e.vansebille at unsw.edu.au for a copy

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Cheers,
Erik

Title:
Adrift.org.au -- A free, quick and easy tool to quantitatively study
planktonic surface drift in the global ocean

Abstract:
Almost all organisms in the ocean are impacted by ocean currents. Hence,
there is growing interest by marine ecologists in using objective methods
to assess current drift and its implications for marine connectivity. Here,
an online tool - hosted at adrift.org.au - is introduced that allows for a
simple, quantitative assessment of drift patterns and transit time scales
on the global scale. The tool is based on a statistical transition matrix
represen- tation of the observed trajectories of more than 15 thousand
surface drifters. Users can select any point in the ocean and obtain the
evolution of the probability density distribution for a tracer released at
that point, both forward and backward in time, for a maximum interval of 10
years. It is envisioned that this tool will be used in research and
teaching, especially where estimates of drift patterns and transit times
are required quickly.

--
Dr. Erik van Sebille
Climate Change Research Centre & ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate
e: E.vanSebille at unsw.edu.au
w: www.erik.vansebille.com