[MARMAM] Passing of Dr. Gerald Regan

Jennifer Lewis jlewi006 at fiu.edu
Mon Oct 27 18:53:04 PDT 2014

To the MARMAM community. It is with a great deal of sadness that I must
share with you that Fr. Dr. Gerald Regan passed away last Thursday night.
Fr. Regan spent many years teaching at Springhill College in Mobile,
Alabama (more than 30), where he also led the marine mammal stranding
network for the state. In addition, he taught the undergraduate summer
course on cetacean biology at Dauphin Island Sea Lab until he retired.

His influence was enormous. I cannot count how many students were inspired
by him to go into marine biology or marine mammal science (myself
included). His facebook page has been a continuous stream of stories and
memories of him (https://www.facebook.com/Regan.GT?fref=ts).

If you knew him, then you know he was an incredible character, with the
most amazing dry sense of humor. Always finding adventures in the most
simple tasks and giving all he had to help build the confidence of young
undergraduates who would have given the moon to please him.

We are working to compile everyone’s favorite stories of him in
remembrance. For those of you who did know him, if you would not mind, we
would love to hear yours too. Please forward them to Jennifer Lewis (
jlewis at tropicaldolphin.org).

--
Jennifer Lewis, Ph.D.
Director, Tropical Dolphin Research Foundation