[MARMAM] VOLUNTEERS NEEDED IN DECEMBER FOR RESEARCH ON BURRUNAN DOLPHINS IN COFFIN BAY, SOUTH AUSTRALIA

cecipass at adinet.com.uy cecipass at adinet.com.uy
Mon Oct 27 00:04:58 PDT 2014

Field assistants needed in December for research on Burrunan Dolphins
in Coffin Bay, South Australia

Fieldwork dates:	1st to 22nd December 2014

Applications:  until 10th November 2014

Project title:  Population size, spatial ecology and socio-genetic
structure of the Burrunan dolphins (Tursiops australis) in Coffin Bay,
Thorny Passage Marine Park (TPMP), South Australia.

Institution: Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution Lab (CEBEL);
Flinders University
www.cebel.org.au

Overview: We are seeking experienced field assistants to help two PhD
students during summer season with boat-based photo-ID of Burrunan
dolphins (Tursiops australis) in Coffin Bay, one of the most beautiful
marine parks of South Australia.

Project aim: provide baseline information on the ecology, habitat use,
social and genetic population structure of Burrunan dolphins in the
TPMP in South Australia. This research is part of a larger research
program into this species lead by the Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and
Evolution Lab at the School of Biological Sciences, Flinders
University.
This is an opportunity to gain experience in field techniques for small
cetacean research and contribute to a project with very high
conservation and management value.

Duties: Searching for dolphins, driving the boat, photo-identification,
recording field observations, equipment cleaning and data entry
(including excel datasheets entry, fin photos classification and
matching).

Expectations: Field assistants need to be adaptable and patient as
weather is highly dependent. We will be committed to go sampling
everyday whenever weather allows us. If not, we?ll be working in data
entry and fin matching of identified individuals.
Assistants will need to be prepared for early morning departures (6-
7AM) and long days (6-8 hours) on the water for multiple consecutive
days. Expect up to a week between days off, as field work is weather
dependent.

Prerequisites:
?	No history of debilitating seasickness (essential)
?	Experience of working on a small boat (highly desirable)
?	Experience of photo-ID survey techniques (highly desirable)
?	Experience of field research on small cetaceans (highly desirable)
?	Enrolled in or completed a degree in biology, marine science, animal
behaviour or a related field (desirable)
?	Be team-oriented, patient, and have an enthusiastic attitude to hard
work and collecting data on the natural environment (essential)
?	Fluent English or Spanish (highly desirable)
We?ll provide accommodation during the entire field season in Coffin
Bay. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide monetary compensation.
Assistants will be responsible for their own travel to Port Lincoln,
South Australia, and will have to pay for their own food which in a
shared basis is around AUS 80-100 per week. We?ll share house duties
including cooking and cleaning.
Note: if you are able to arrive to Adelaide by the 30th November the
project can provide transport to fieldwork site as we?ll be driving
there. We won?t be able to provide transport back to Adelaide on the
22nd December.

If you are interested and you are able to commit for the entire period,
please send a CV, a brief covering letter outlining your relevant
experience, and contact details of two relevant referees. This
information must be sent in an e-mail with the subject ?Summer field
assistant? before 10th November 2014 to:
cecilia.passadore at flinders.edu.au

Kind regards,

Cecilia Passadore

PhD. candidate
Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution Lab (CEBEL)
School of Biological Sciences
Flinders University
Sturt Road, Bedford Park, South Australia, 5042
GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, South Australia, 5001
Lab website: www.cebel.org.au
Phone: +61 8 8201-3865
Email:  cecilia.passadore at flinders.edu.au