[MARMAM] FW: Graduate course offering - please post
kit.kovacs at npolar.no
Sun Oct 19 12:11:49 PDT 2014
Biotelemetry graduate course offering - applications due prior to 15 November.
The sooner applications are received - the better your chances of getting a place.
MSc/PhD course offering in Svalbard Norway - 13 April - 16 May
MIX of field/lectures/labs - see http://www.unis.no - courses - ab325/825 for details
Course in Biotelemetry and Biologging (with strong marine mammal components)
1) Basic principles for radio signal transmission & antenna theory
2) Telemetric technology, regulations and management of frequencies
3) Ethics (animal welfare) in biotelemetry/biologging
4) Introduction to VHF-based telemetry andGPS-positioning systems in biotelemetry -transmitters applications and limitations
5) Telemetry & biologging equipment - a manufacturers perspective
6) User "issues" - another manufacturer's perspective - trouble shooting
7) Maps, mapping and GPS technology - Practical applications
8) Acoustic telemetry - Methods & Science questions
9) Range size, habitat use etc. (Storage, and retrieval of data and the integration of animal tracks and terrestrial environmental data)
10) An introduction to GIS tools
11) Design considerations/limitations in marine mammal biotelemetry
12) Biotelemetry and biologging with Svalbard's marine mammals - case studies
13) Linking marine mammal telemetry & the environment - MAMVIS & statistical tools
14) Remote methods in sea bird research - transponders, photographic & case studies
15) Fish tracking
16) Physiological telemetry -applications and potential
17) Looking into the future....
TEAM taught course with relevant experts covering the various topics - lead by Prof. Kit M. Kovacs
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM