[MARMAM] Introductory GIS and Species Distribution Modelling courses for Marine Biologists, January 2015
Colin D. MacLeod
cdmacleod at gisinecology.com
Fri Oct 10 09:07:46 PDT 2014
GIS In Ecology will once again be running the following introductory courses for marine biologists in the use of GIS and Species Distribution Modelling in January 2015.
1. An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology, 12th – 14th January 2015, Glasgow, Scotland: This three day course covers the basics of how to use GIS in marine biological research and is aimed at those who have little or no experience in using GIS, but who wish to learn. The course is taught by Dr Colin D. MacLeod, author of the ‘An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology’ series of books, and is taught in the type of language marine biologists will be familiar with. It consists of a series of background and practical sessions which will provide all the information needed to start successfully using GIS in marine biology. Cost: £395 (£300 for students, unwaged and those working for NGOs). More information on this course can be found at: http://www.gisinecology.com/Training_Course_Glasgow_January_2015.htm. If you have any questions, or wish to book a place email: cdmacleod at GISinEcology.com
2. An Introduction To Species Distribution Modelling In The Marine Environment, 15th – 16th January 2015, Glasgow, Scotland: This two day course follows on from the introductory GIS course and provides all the information required to start using Species Distribution Modelling (SDM) in the marine environment in a practical and biologically meaningful way. In a series of background sessions, case studies and practical exercises, it covers how to create data layers of species distribution, how to select and create raster data layers of environmental variables, such as water depth, how to join information on species distribution to environmental information, how to export data from a GIS project for analysis in a statistical package, such as R, how to create spatial visualisations based on a statistical model and how to validate the spatial predictions of a model. The practical sessions work through a species distribution modelling project based on real marine survey data from start to finish. Cost: £295 (£200 for students, unwaged and those working for NGOs). More information on this course can be found at: http://www.gisinecology.com/Training_Course_SDM_January_2015.htm. If you have any questions, or wish to book a place email: cdmacleod at GISinEcology.com. Note: This course requires a basic knowledge of GIS and how to use ArcGIS GIS software (as covered in the above introductory GIS course).
We will also be running three new courses later in the year which are aimed at those who wish to develop their GIS skills. These are:
3. An Introduction To Investigating The Home Ranges of Individual Animals, 9th - 10th Feburary 2015, Glasgow, Scotland. Duration 2 days. Cost: £295 (£200 for students, unwaged and those working for NGOs).
4. An Introduction To Creating Custom GIS Tools For Automating Frequently Repeated Tasks, 11th – 12th February 2015, Glasgow, Scotland. Duration 2 days. Cost: £295 (£200 for students, unwaged and those working for NGOs).
5. An Introduction To Using QGIS In Biological Research, 30th – 31st March 2015, Glasgow Scotland. Duration 2 days. Cost: £295 (£200 for students, unwaged and those working for NGOs).
More information on these new courses will be available next month, but if you are interested in finding out more about them, or in booking a place, email cdmacleod at GISinEcology.com.
GIS IN ECOLOGY - Providing Training, Advice And Consultancy On The Use Of GIS In Ecology
Web: www.GISinEcology.com Email: info at GISinEcology.com
Need to ask a question about using GIS? Try the GIS In Ecology Forum: www.GISinEcology.com/GIS_in_Ecology_forum.htm
Books From GIS In Ecology Staff:
An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology; RRP: £44.99
An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology: Supplementary Workbook One - Creating Maps Of Species Distribution; RRP: £19:99
An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology: Supplementary Workbook Two - Working With Raster Data Layers; RRP: £19.99
If you wish to purchase these books, visit: http://www.gisinecology.com/Book_Shop.htm
To help the environment, please do not print out this email unless it is unavoidable.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM