[MARMAM] Recruiting Notice: GIS/Information Manager
cathy at smulteasciences.com
Mon Nov 10 11:06:28 PST 2014
? Recruiting Notice: GIS/Information Manager
Smultea Environmental Sciences (SES) is a group of passionate scientists and staff who perform marine mammal research and analysis. Projects range from fundamental science (population estimation/distribution, behavioral analysis, etc.) through efforts to mitigate the effects of human activity on marine mammals and their habitats. SES's driving goals include contributing to science related to whales, dolphins, polar bears, walrus and other marine mammals.
Information management is central to what SES does. The GIS/Information Manager supports the projects of SES to further work in the field and office. S/He "shepherds" data coming in from the field and facilitates further QA/QC, analysis, archival and backup; drives database architecture and definitions; and coordinates spatial and database activities between internal teams and external partners. This position will work on projects across the United States and around the world. The GIS/Information Manager will acquire, generate, synthesize, analyze, and disseminate a wide range of geo-spatial and other data sets, and will work with SES staff and partners to identify information needs and create solutions. The GIS/Information Manager will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
Major responsibilities will include:
* Drive the ongoing development of data acquisition processes, enabling quick QA/QC, cloud archival, backup and retrieval of data streaming from multiple concurrent field projects.
* Work collaboratively with SES staff, partners, and consultants to develop novel solutions using data gathered in the field or through third-party sources.
* Provide data and GIS (including map making) support to all SES staff for business development, permitting and report writing.
* Build capacity across the company by troubleshooting GIS and data management problems, working with SES team members to provide hardware and software support as necessary.
* Work collaboratively with SES-preferred software partners to maintain data systems that are up-to-date and organized, and maintaining GIS, GPS and mobile platform hardware and software systems.
* Drive the development of consistent methods for testing, documenting, storing and retrieving geo-spatial data sets.
* BS degree in related field such as Computer Science, Math, EE, or GIS and 5 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education, experience and professional certification.
* Absolutely killer general computer skills. We assume you know how to configure a new PC, create a file hierarchy, set ACLs on network shares, use a Word template instead of just typing, install a Chrome plugin without getting a virus, defrag a hard drive, etc.
* Awesome database skills (e.g. Access, SQL, etc.)
* Geo-spatial skills, including Google Earth (knowledge of kml a plus) and/or ArcGIS
* GPS (knowledge of NMEA a plus)
* Programming experience (any language, including M(atLab) or R)
* Marine mammal knowledge
* Marine environment experience (sailing, navigation, operations, etc.)
Compensation DOE. We are an EEO employer.
CV, letter of interest and three references should be emailed to holly.dramis at smulteasciences.com<mailto:holly.dramis at smulteasciences.com>. No phone calls please.
Cathy E. Bacon
Project Manager/Senior Research Associate
Smultea Environmental Sciences International
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM