[MARMAM] New paper on humpback whales

Phillip Clapham - NOAA Federal phillip.clapham at noaa.gov
Mon May 19 16:57:15 PDT 2014

I am happy to announce publication of the following paper:

Andriolo, A., Zerbini, A., Moreira, S., Pizzorno, J., Maia, Y., Danilewicz,
D., Mamede, N, Castro, F. & Clapham, P.  2014.  What do humpback whale
pairs do after tagging?  Zoologia 31: 105-113.

ABSTRACT: The social structure of humpback whales in their tropical
wintering grounds is very fluid.  To date, no information has been
published for cases in which two whales were both satellite-tagged while in
association.  Here, we report the movements of four humpback whale pairs
tagged together off the coast of Brazil. Fieldwork and satellite tagging of
humpback whales was conducted between 2003 and 2008 along the eastern coast
of Brazil, between 20°S and 8°S.  Movement was monitored while whales were
still in their breeding ground.  A switching state space model was applied
to the filtered data of each humpback whale to standardize telemetry data
and allow direct comparison of each individual track.  GIS was used to plot
model-predicted locations and to visually compare animal movements.  The
results confirm the short-lived nature of associations between breeding
humpback whales, and show that individuals differ widely in their movements.

Reprints are available from the senior author: *artur.andriolo at ufjf.edu.br
<artur.andriolo at ufjf.edu.br>*

--
Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.
Leader, Cetacean Assessment and Ecology Program

tel 206 526 4037
fax 206 526 6615
email phillip.clapham at noaa.gov