[MARMAM] Funded PhD in harbour seal ecology

Thompson, Professor Paul M. lighthouse at abdn.ac.uk
Tue May 13 09:00:07 PDT 2014

Fine-Scale Habitat Selection in Harbour Seals - Fully funded PhD studentship for EU or overseas students.

The University of Aberdeen is currently offering a PhD project on harbour seal movements and habitat selection. The project builds upon collaborative studies with the University of St Andrews, which involves fine-scale tracking of >25 harbour seals from our long-term study population in NE Scotland. The studentship includes both stipend and fees, and is available to any student worldwide.

Applicants must have excellent academic credentials and relevant research experience from either terrestrial or marine systems. We are particularly keen to hear from quantitative students who have strong track records in either spatial modelling or capture-mark-recapture analyses. Most critically, we are looking for good problem solvers who have a proven ability to identify interesting biological questions and undertake publishable work within an inter-disciplinary team.

Project details & application instructions can be found at: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/clsm/graduate/research/harbour-seals-674.php

The closing date is Friday 30th May 2014

Further information about our research group and recent publications can be found at: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/lighthouse/