[MARMAM] Survey volunteer for bottlenose dolphin study in Mauritius.
jipperim.orca at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 00:50:16 PDT 2014
May-July 2014. (2-3months)
The Mauritius Marine Conservation Society (MMCS) is recruiting a volunteer
to assist in data collection for a project using acoustic monitoring and
boat based surveys to determine the presence of bottlenose dolphins around
a fish farm on the south east coast of Mauritius. This will involve regular
boat based surveys and some diving for the placement and retrieval of
acoustic devices. Assisting the study leader with all data collection and
entry, and equipment maintenance.
Emphasis will be placed on the further development of the National
Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin photo-ID catalogue. A primary goal of the
project is to assess the area use by the dolphins and their interactions
with the fish farm.
There will also be the opportunity to assist with other MMCS work.
The successful applicant will need to be in Mauritius by early May and be
available for 2-3 months.
Skills and experience:
· Previous cetacean survey experience
· Photo identification experience preferred - you will assist in
the updating of bottlenose dolphin photo identification catalogues
· Previous acoustic experience would be an advantage
· Willingness to spend long hours on the sea in sometimes difficult
· Highly motivated and able to concentrate for several hours at a
· Diver, minimum 50+ dives or AOW
· Good people skills - you will be living in close quarters with
· Ability to work in a team environment maintaining focus on work
· Preferably educated to at least degree level in marine
· Knowledge of turtle and seabird identification for the western
Indian Ocean is a bonus.
Please note that this is an *unpaid* position, however, it is a great
opportunity to gain valuable field experience while exploring the unique
Indian Ocean island of Mauritius. The successful applicant will contribute
250GBP per week to cover accommodation, diving equipment, fish farm safety
and diver training and some running/admin costs. *Food is the volunteers'
responsibility* (allow 40-60GBP/week). You will need to cover your own
airfares and insurance (including for diving). Airport transfers can be
organized for an additional 65GBP (rtn).
MMCS is a non-governmental organization existing for more than 30 years,
working actively to promote awareness and appreciation of the rich marine
life around Mauritius.
For more information and application forms on this project please contact:
Nina and Imogen via email: info at mmcs-ngo.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM