[MARMAM] Fieldwork Assistant Job Vacancy

Cheney, Barbara J. b.cheney at abdn.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 02:52:58 PDT 2014

FIELDWORK ASSISTANT
University of Aberdeen Lighthouse Field Station

We are seeking a hardworking, enthusiastic fieldworker who is looking to develop and broaden their research experience. You will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience supporting our studies of marine top predator ecology in the Moray Firth, north east Scotland during a 5 month summer contract, from May to September 2014. Your primary responsibility will be to assist with fieldwork, data input and image processing for our long-term boat-based bottlenose dolphin photo-identification project.  During this busy fieldwork season there will also be scope for you to assist in our other research projects including passive acoustic monitoring, northern fulmar and harbour seal ecology.

You must have experience of conducting boat-based marine field research on mammals or birds and provide evidence of excellent organisational skills, an attention to detail, and the ability to make clear and accurate field notes. You should also be competent in computer-based data and image handling, and have good communication skills with both the public and other researchers. Knowledge of photo-identification techniques, qualified boat handling and good photographic skills using an SLR camera is an advantage but not essential.  Patience and a willingness to work the long and flexible hours required to carry out weather dependent boat-based fieldwork are essential requirements.

The post will be based from the University of Aberdeen's Lighthouse Field Station in Cromarty (www.abdn.ac.uk/lighthouse<http://www.abdn.ac.uk/lighthouse>).  Salary will be at the rate of £17,678 per annum, on Grade 3 of the University Salary Scales. Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications from candidates for this post who require a work permit to work in the UK.

For further details and to apply for this position visit www.abdn.ac.uk/jobs<http://www.abdn.ac.uk/jobs>.  Job Reference Number: YBS633S.  The closing date for the receipt of applications is 10 April 2014.

If you have any questions please contact me at b.cheney at abdn.ac.uk<mailto:b.cheney at abdn.ac.uk>.

__
Barbara Cheney
Research Fellow