[MARMAM] New publication: Real-time PCR assays for detection of Brucella spp. and the identification of genotype ST27 in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus)

David Wu - NOAA Affiliate david.wu at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 27 11:46:41 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the publication of our article is now
available online:

Qingzhong Wu, Wayne E. McFee, Tracey Goldstein, Rebekah V. Tiller and Lori
Schwacke. 2014. Real-time PCR assays for detection of *Brucella* spp. and
the identification of genotype ST27 in bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops
truncatus*). Journal of Microbiological Methods DOI:
10.1016/j.mimet.2014.03.001
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167701214000736

Abstract:

Rapid detection of *Brucella* spp*.* in marine mammals is challenging.
 Microbiologic
culture is used for definitive diagnosis of brucellosis, but is time
consuming, has low sensitivity and can be hazardous to laboratory
personnel.  Serological methods can aid in diagnosis, but may not
differentiate prior exposure versus current active infection and may
cross-react with unrelated gram-negative bacteria.  This study reports a
real-time PCR assay for the detection of *Brucella* spp*.* and application
to screen clinical samples from bottlenose dolphins stranded along the
coast of South Carolina, USA.  The assay was found to be 100% sensitive for
the *Brucella* strains tested, and the limit of detection was 0.27 fg of
genomic DNA from *B. ceti* B1/94 per PCR volume.  No amplification was
detected for the non-*Brucella* pathogens tested.  *Brucella* DNA was
detected in 31% (55/178) of clinical samples tested.  These studies
indicate that the real-time PCR assay is highly sensitive and specific for
the detection of *Brucella *spp*.* in bottlenose dolphins.  We also
developed a second real-time PCR assay for rapid identification of
*Brucella* ST27, a genotype that is associated with human zoonotic
infection.  Positive results were obtained for *Brucella* strains which had
been identified as ST27 by multilocus sequence typing.  No amplification
was found for other *Brucella* strains included in this study.  ST27 was
identified in 33% (18/54) of *Brucella* spp. DNA-positive clinical samples.
To our knowledge, this is the first report on the use of a real-time PCR
assay for identification of *Brucella* genotype ST27 in marine mammals.

Best regards,
David
--

Qingzhong (David) Wu, JHT, Inc. - Contractor

Hollings Marine Laboratory
National Ocean Service
331 Ft. Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412