[MARMAM] Job Opportunity with Elding Whale Watching Reykjavik

Megan Whittaker megster1983 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 26 05:16:52 PDT 2014

JOB OPPORTUNITY AS AN ON-BOARD NATURALIST FOR ELDING WHALE WATCHING
REYKJAVIK, ICELAND SUMMER 2014.

Elding Whale Watching Reykjavik is a family owned company and has
been running since 2000. We are the original operator in Reykjavik, abide by
IceWhale guidelines as well as integrating our own and are the first and only
environmentally certified whale watching company in Iceland. Elding also
provides a platform for marine biologists to study the cetaceans we encounter
on our tours to help build our knowledge and understanding. For further
information about our company please visit our website at www.whalewatching.is

Elding is looking for a guide for the summer and maybe longer that
can speak fluent English (main language guiding in) and French. Please specify if
you speak other languages fluently too. All applicants must be National
Residents of Iceland, have appropriate Working Visas or are from EEA countries.

Duration: Positions will start from May to October at least. Shift
work on a 2-2-3 schedule (two days on, two off etc. and you have every other
weekend off Fri-Sun).

Salary will be discussed at a later date but you are looking around
280,000ISK/month

·
Narrating clearly and fluently
to passengers the biology, conservation and ecology of the marine life found in
Faxafloi Bay and other areas around Iceland.

·
Spotting wildlife for
passengers

·
Cleaning – the main cleaning is
done at the end of the day or when cancelled due to bad weather and yes it also
means cleaning up vomit and toilets.

·
Looking after the welfare and
security of passengers onboard.

·
Bar work – Each vessel has a
bar where light refreshments are sold

·
Hospitality – this is done both
onboard and in the office when needed

·
Other work/tasks – i.e. selling
tickets, distributing brochures, answering the phone, translating documents
etc…

Important skills/qualifications

·
A strong interest and education
in marine science specifically cetaceans and marine birds

·
A good knowledge of
conservation issues related to marine life

·
Confidence to narrate and
interacted with large groups of the public

·
Must be a quick learner,
adaptive, a very good SENSE OF HUMOUR, hard working, outgoing and generally a
very positive person (finding beauty in the little things)

·
Be quite strong as there may be
some heavy lifting. i.e. moving cases of drinks or working with heavy ropes.

·
Be able to work calmly and
politely under pressure and sometimes in stressful situations.

·
Must have experience on boats
preferably of boats above 17m and not acceptable to seasickness easily

·
Good spotting skills

·
Maritime safety and First Aid
certified is an advantage but not necessary.

·
Photography skills is desirable

·
Willingness to work long hours
outdoors in sometimes unfavorable weathers.

Elding prides itself on team work, no job is too small or too big
for any of our staff members. We work together to make sure everything is
finished for the following day. So being a team player is also very important.

How to apply:

Please email your C.V. and a short description
of experience in English specifying any relevant experience you may have with
the contact details of at least two references to Megan Whittaker (megan at elding.is) by the 15th April
2014.