[MARMAM] Join CIRCE to work on cetaceans of the Strait of Gibraltar

CIRCE Philippe Verborgh philippeverborgh at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 18 08:13:05 PDT 2014

Dear MARMAMers,

The research group CIRCE (http://www.circe.info) offers the possibility to take part in a field course on cetacean research techniques as a research assistant in the Strait of Gibraltar.

CIRCE has been studying the seven species of cetaceans inhabiting the waters of the Strait of Gibraltar since 1999 and has already gained a lot of knowledge on these populations.

The Strait of Gibraltar is an amazing place to study cetaceans since 4 species (long-finned pilot whales, bottlenose, common and striped dolphins) are resident and use a small area all year round at about 40 min from shore. In Spring-Summer killer and sperm whales also join the area for foraging purposes while fin whales are migrating through the Strait.

We are offering you the opportunity to spend 12 days (or more) with our team of experts in the field and at the research station to learn all about the cetaceans of the Strait of Gibraltar.

Activities will include but are not limited to:
- Boat-based surveys and data collection at sea whenever the weather conditions are suitable
- Personal work on photo-ID matching.
- General presentations on the cetaceans inhabiting the Strait of Gibraltar
- Presentation of the different methodologies to study these species (photo-ID, biopsy sampling, diet using stable isotopes, population genetics, satellite tracking…)
- Presentation of the latest results from our research and their contribution to the conservation of the species of the Strait
- Presentation of all the ongoing research projects

No previous knowledge about cetacean and/or marine science is required as we will adapt the presentations and missions according to the level of knowledge of the participants. However a good mood and enthusiasm is welcome.

Lectures will be available in English, French or Spanish.

Prices are 990€ per trip (800€ for students) including housing, food, surveys at sea, training of research methods, transport and additional activities. This price does not include your trip to and from Algeciras or Tarifa, Spain.

You will find all the information about dates, what is included in the price etc. on our website (available also in French and Spanish):
http://www.circe.info/~circe/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94&Itemid=200&lang=en

Scientific publications can also be found on our website (available also in French and Spanish):
http://www.circe.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&Itemid=179&lang=en
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to meet researchers in the field and to enjoy the amazing wildlife of the Strait of Gibraltar!

For more information you can contact us at:
philippe(at)circe.info

Philippe VERBORGH
CIRCE (Conservation, Information and Research on Cetaceans)
C/ Cabeza de Manzaneda, 3
11390 Pelayo-Algeciras
Cádiz
Spain