[MARMAM] Online publication: New cetacean morbillivirus detected in Western Australia

Nahiid Stephens N.Stephens at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Mar 13 20:49:52 PDT 2014

Dear Marmamers,

My co-authors and I would like to announce our new article "Cetacean Morbillivirus in Coastal Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins, Western Australia", which is now available as a full-text online article ahead of print in Emerging Infectious Disease. It can be viewed in full here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/20/4/13-1714_article.htm.

Abstract:
Cetacean morbillivirus (CeMV) has caused several epizootics in multiple species of cetaceans globally and is an emerging disease among cetaceans in Australia. We detected CeMV in 2 stranded coastal Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) in Western Australia. Preliminary phylogenetic data suggest that this virus variant is divergent from known strains.

I recently presented these results at the Society for Marine Mammalogy's Biennial Conference in Dunedin, New Zealand (December 2013). We think it adds valuable information to the interesting recent developments in the study of Cetacean Morbillivirus worldwide.

Best Wishes, Nahiid.

Nahiid Stephens BSc BVMS (Hons) MANZCVSc (VetPath)
Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology
School of Veterinary and Life Sciences
Murdoch University
Murdoch WA 6150