[MARMAM] Land-based bottlenose dolphin photo-ID volunteer position, Wales, UK

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Tue Mar 4 04:44:36 PST 2014

CBMWC logo without boarderWTSWW_high_res_logoCardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

Land-based bottlenose dolphin photo-ID officer 2014

Dedicating to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education
and research

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) is recruiting a volunteer to run
our land-based bottlenose dolphin photo-ID project for the 2014 season
(April to November).This role is responsible for conducting opportunistic
land-based photo-ID of bottlenose dolphins from New Quay harbour and then
sorting, matching and cataloguing the images. At the end of the project you
will be expected to produce a detailed report.

The successful applicant will receive full training in the form of a three
day professional photography course being hosted by CBMWC. The course is run
in association with Aberystwyth University’s School of Life Long Learning
and is tailored to meet the requirements for this project. Please note that
your costs of participating in the course will be covered.

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales, UK
and is the marine wing of the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales. Since
1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local marine
environment through education and research. Using boat-based and land-based
surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we monitor bottlenose dolphin,
harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations in the Cardigan Bay
Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider Irish Sea. We operate a busy
visitor centre and also run an education and activity room which offers
marine educational activities for families with young children.

Role description:

·      Be responsible for photographing the bottlenose dolphins (and other
marine mammals) in the New Quay harbour survey area

·      Be responsible for sorting, matching and cataloguing bottlenose
dolphin photographs

·      Supervise CBMWC volunteers taking part in the land-based photo-ID
project, disseminating information gained during the photography training

·      Assist with sorting, matching and cataloguing additional photographs
of bottlenose dolphins

·      Assist in training volunteers in the analysis of photo-ID images

·      Maintain up to date procedures for all aspects of the photo-ID work

·      Assist with compiling the CBMWC bottlenose dolphin photo-ID catalogue

·      Provide regular project updates to CBMWC Science officer

·      You may also be requested to help with other aspects of our work,
such as research data collection and entry and staffing the visitor centre.

Essential skills and qualifications:

·      Fluency in English

·      Mature and responsible attitude as you will be using expensive camera
and computer equipment

·      Proactive and ability to work independently and unsupervised

·      Ability to work closely with others as part of a small team

·      IT skills

·      An interest in wildlife and conservation

·      Excellent verbal and written communication skills

Desirable skills

·      Experience with digital SLR cameras and wildlife photography

·      Experience using ArcGIS

·      An interest and knowledge of British cetaceans

·      A background in biology/marine biology/environmental science

Commitment:

The successful applicant must be available to start on 7th April and commit
for the entire field season until 3rd November. Flexibility in working hours
is essential as the photography work will need to be undertaken
opportunistically when the dolphins are in the New Quay harbour area so you
must be prepared to work outside of normal working hours.

Accommodation and expenses:

A double room with en suite is available in a private house in New Quay for
£60/week, including bills and wifi. You will be responsible for all
accommodation, travel and other expenses incurred however it is relatively
easy to find a part-time evening job.

To apply:

Please email a CV and covering letter outlining your experience and
motivations for applying to volunteer at cbmwc.org by 17th March. Interviews
will take place on 24th March at CBMWC.

Contact:

For further information and any queries, please contact

Laura Mears, Project Officer

Email: volunteer at cbmwc.org

Tel: 01545 560224

Support our research - adopt a Cardigan Bay dolphin with the Cardigan Bay
Marine Wildlife Centre
<http://www.cbmwc.org/support-us/adopt-a-cardigan-bay-dolphin/>

Raise money for CBMWC with each internet search you do - it doesn't cost you
a penny  <http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC>
http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

Wales, UK

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560 224

E-bost/Email:  <mailto:info at cbmwc.org> info at cbmwc.org

Website:  <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

For all the latest news and sightings information, please visit our website,
follow us on Twitter and become a fan of our Facebook page

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

 <http://twitter.com/CBMWC> http://twitter.com/CBMWC

 <http://facebook.com/CBMWC> http://facebook.com/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is supported by the Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife Group, a marine interest group of the Wildlife Trust of South and
West Wales.

Helping to conserve Cardigan Bay's marine wildlife through education and
research

Helpu I warchod bywyd gwyllt morol Bae Ceredigion drwy addysg ac ymchwil

The contents of this email are confidential and are soley for the use of the
intended recipient. If you receive this email in error please delete it and
notify us either by email or telephone. It is prohibited to copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the contents of this email.