[MARMAM] URGENT - Field assistants needed for research on Burrunan Dolphins in Coffin Bay, South Australia

cecipass at adinet.com.uy cecipass at adinet.com.uy
Sun Jun 29 19:31:19 PDT 2014

URGENT - Field assistants needed for research on Burrunan Dolphins in
Coffin Bay, South Australia

Fieldwork dates: from 10th July to 15th September 2014.
* Commitment to start ASAP and at least for one month will be highly
favoured.

Application deadline: 7th July 2014

Project title:  Population size, spatial ecology and socio-genetic
structure of the Burrunan dolphins (Tursiops australis) in Coffin Bay,
Thorny Passage Marine Park (TPMP), South Australia.

Institution: Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution Lab (CEBEL);
Flinders University
www.cebel.org.au

Overview: We are seeking experienced field assistants to help two PhD
students during winter season with boat-based photo-ID of Burrunan
dolphins (Tursiops australis) in Coffin Bay, one of the most beautiful
marine parks of South Australia.

Project aim: provide baseline information on the ecology, habitat use,
social and genetic population structure of Burrunan dolphins in the
TPMP in South Australia. This research is part of a larger research
program into this species lead by the Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and
Evolution Lab at the School of Biological Sciences, Flinders
University.
This is an opportunity to gain experience in field techniques for small
cetacean research and contribute to a project with very high
conservation and management value.

Duties: Searching for dolphins, driving the boat, photo-identification,
recording field observations, equipment cleaning and data entry (incl.
fin matching).

Expectations: Field assistants need to be adaptable and patient as
weather is highly dependent. We will be committed to go sampling
everyday whenever weather allows us. If not, we?ll be working in data
entry and fin matching of identified individuals.
Assistants will need to be prepared for early morning departures (6-
7AM) and long days (6-8 hours) on the water for multiple consecutive
days. Expect up to a week between days off, as field work is weather
dependent.

Prerequisites:
?	Experience of working on a small boat (highly desirable, Coxswain
certificate will be highly favoured);
?	Experience of photo-ID survey techniques (highly desirable);
?	Experience of field research on small cetaceans (highly desirable);
?	Enrolled in or completed a degree in biology, marine science, animal
behaviour or a related field (desirable)
?	No history of debilitating seasickness (essential);
?	Be team-oriented, patient, and have an enthusiastic attitude to hard
work and collecting data on the natural environment (essential);
?	Fluent English or Spanish (highly desirable)
We?ll provide accommodation during the entire field season in Coffin
Bay. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide monetary compensation.
Assistants will be responsible for their own travel to Port Lincoln,
South Australia, and will have to pay for their own food. We?ll share
house duties including cooking and cleaning.

If you are interested and you are able to start before the 14th July,
please send a CV, a brief covering letter outlining your relevant
experience, and contact details of two relevant referees. This
information must be sent in an e-mail with the subject ?URGENT-Field
assistant? before 7th July 2014 to:
cecilia.passadore at flinders.edu.au and fernando.diaz at flinders.edu.au

Kind Regards,

Cecilia and Fernando