[MARMAM] HUMPBACK WHALE RESEARCH INTERNSHIP IN ECUADOR
pierregallego at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 11:12:38 PDT 2014
HUMPBACK WHALE RESEARCH INTERNSHIP IN ECUADOR (with possibility for Galapagos Islands extension)
The Pacific Whale Foundation (PWF) in Ecuador, together with the Marine Biology Association Odyssea (www.odyssea.lu), is offering humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) research internships in the Machalilla National Park in Ecuador. This is where Pacific humpback whales congregate to give birth to their calves, and mate. Dr Cristina Castro from PWF in Ecuador has been carrying out research on humpback whales for 18 years in this National Park.
These internships are available for durations of either 8, 10 or 14 days, from June until the end of October 2014. Volunteers will be introduced to and participate in the research techniques involving boat-based photo identification, biopsy sampling, behavioural studies and acoustics. No previous experience is required.
Cost of the internship: ranging between 999 to 1650 USD, depending on the length of stay and date of the internship.
This fee includes:
- Full internship program with lectures, practical training and workshops
- Transfers from and to Manta airport
- Basic accommodation in small studios (some single, some shared for 2 persons maximum) in Puerto Lopez with kitchen and private bathroom
- Boat-based humpback whale photo-identification and behavioral data collection
- Training sessions in cetacean research techniques and software, as well as analyzing data with scientific supervision
- Lectures on cetacean biology and conservation
- Isla de La Plata tours including snorkeling trips
- Spanish lessons
- Farewell dinner
This fee does not include flights to and from Ecuador, food (except for lunch boxes on boat trips and a some dinners when out late during field work), compulsory health and travel insurance, and personal expenses.
Trips to the Galapagos can be organised in addition to the internship (with additional costs).
At the end of the internship a certificate will be issued summing up all the skills acquired by the participants.
If you are interested in joining this internship, please contact us at pgallego at student.ulg.ac.be and we will send you the detailed dates and prices.
Dr Pierre Gallego
President of Odyssea
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM